Saturn Press Astrobee 1500 review ...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverleaf

Reaction score
Greetings,

In order to fulfill my agreement to write a review of a kit that I won as a a result of finishing second in the recent EMRR "On Display" photo contest, this thread will detail my work on the Saturn Press Astrobee 1500 aquired from JonRocket.com.

Please follow the link to my Projects page for the in-progress review...

https://scale-rocketry.tripod.com/id5.htm

More to come...

Cheers,

Nice so far.

I haven't even opened mine yet and I've had it for a long time!

Can you ever forgive me, Peter?

This is a really nice kit and an enjoyable build. The directions are really good at explaining why you do things a certain way.
Somewhere I have a photo of mine.. it's either at home or on my flashcard.

kj

I have one of these in the bag that i bought during my tax return shopping spree :).

I am scared to build it though. It's such a pretty kit and is sure to skyrocket in value if it ever goes OOP. It doesn't appear to be easily cloneable either. I'm also worried that i'll somehow mess up the build if i start. Maybe i'll buy another one that i can build... or will i have the same problem with a second kit?? ugh#$%#!

Please continue to post your progress, i'd love to see it and at least this way i can virtually build it :).

Thanks for the kind words. 8)

Really, this is a kit that falls into 2 categories: Detailed and easy to build.

As Zog mentioned, the instructions are exceedingly detailed yet easy to follow, and Peter has made every part of the instructions illustrated, so its pretty much an error proof build.

The easy part is, that Peter (and BMS) have laser-cut everything for you, which takes all the fuss out of sanding and assembling Clad fins.

Speaking of, new pics have been posted of the Clad fin construction at the same link.

Cheers,

I am scared to build it though. It's such a pretty kit and is sure to skyrocket in value if it ever goes OOP.

Don't worry about that. Bill at BMS can just make more.

Originally posted by ccoffin
I have one of these in the bag that i bought during my tax return shopping spree :).

I am scared to build it though. It's such a pretty kit and is sure to skyrocket in value if it ever goes OOP. It doesn't appear to be easily cloneable either. I'm also worried that i'll somehow mess up the build if i start. Maybe i'll buy another one that i can build... or will i have the same problem with a second kit?? ugh#$%#!

Please continue to post your progress, i'd love to see it and at least this way i can virtually build it :).
Chris,

That's the reason I bought 2 Estes SpaceShipOne kits: So I can build one and keep one in the bag, either as a backup for the first one if and when I screw it up, or as a MIB "keeper."

I'd say you should go ahead and build your kit. That's why you bought it, isn't it? ;)

(And comparing my Estes SS1 kit with your Saturn Press Astrobee 1500 kit shows pretty well where our respective building/finishing skills are at, too.) :p

Silverleaf,

Do the instructions mention the best method for finishing? It appears that the boosters would/should be painted while detached from the main airframe.

Yes, Peter tells you to paint the boosters and body seperately before final assembly. He also gives pointers for filling (what little) grain on the fins, and for making the nosecone smooth.

It really isn't hat hard of a paint job, just takes some careful masking. I paid attention to the finishing and got one of the best paint jobs I've ever done. :)

kj

Updated the webpage:

New and finished Roll pattern template is posted...

Zog,

Great looking rocket there. Thanks for posting. 8)

Thanks, Silver. This model finished 8th in Sport Scale at Naram46. Was 7th after static.

One recommendation I have to improve the kit is to lengthen the shock cord. I picked up some damage points when the nose bumped back into the tube using the elastic that came in the kit.

kj

I was 9th after static. Forgot about Jim Filler and Glen Feveryear who had really nice models, but unfortunately had problems flying.

kj

Zog,

When I began to assemble the motor mount, I immediately added a length of kevlar and tied it round the mmt after creating a small hole - ala Quest kits - in the forward centering ring as that looked like a sticking point. 8)

Cheers,

Silverleaf,

Looks great!

What did you use for the chrome striping?

Zog: Yours looked awesome as well!

CC,

Many thanks. 8)

The chrome stripping was included with the kit by Peter. The bottom was a straight piece, whilst the top piece was gently curved to fit.

Cheers and thanks again,

Back