Sad Day for SARG

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacEsq

Reaction score
Here is the email I just received from Skip Meyer SARG president:

Hello SARG Rocketeers,

The SARG launch planned for this Saturday, December 14, 2013 has been cancelled.

Unfortunately, I must also inform you that SARG has lost the use of our current launch site. As such, all further SARG launch operations are suspended until further notice.

SARG is actively looking for another suitable launch site. I will communicate additional information as it becomes available.

-Skip Meier-

Sacramento Area Rocketry Group, President
Email: [email protected]

Do any of my fellow SARG members know why we lost our field?

A few years back the landlord entered in to real estste deal with a developer. There always was the possibility that the developer would exercise the option on the property. Perhaps that has finally come to pass.

via Forumrunner/GS4

A few years back the landlord entered in to real estste deal with a developer. There always was the possibility that the developer would exercise the option on the property. Perhaps that has finally come to pass.

via Forumrunner/GS4

That is what I thought but since there had not been any talk about it lately I was not sure.

So what do we do now? :( ... Looks like LUNAR Snow Ranch is the place to be for now.

Here is the email I just received from Skip Meyer SARG president:

Hello SARG Rocketeers,

The SARG launch planned for this Saturday, December 14, 2013 has been cancelled.

Unfortunately, I must also inform you that SARG has lost the use of our current launch site. As such, all further SARG launch operations are suspended until further notice.

SARG is actively looking for another suitable launch site. I will communicate additional information as it becomes available.

-Skip Meier-

Sacramento Area Rocketry Group, President
Email: [email protected]

Do any of my fellow SARG members know why we lost our field?

That couldn't be worse news to hear. How effin cruel. I decided to come back to rocketry, spent a ton of money on new rockets, electronics, looking forward to a better field than any I had experienced with SARG and Poof! . . . gone before even getting to experience it. Man, I couldn't sleep last nite and decided to work on rockets from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. and wake up to this . . . top it off, Fedex just dropped a package off on my doorstep and yes, it's rocket stuff.

I'm going back to bed

I only wish this were the first day of April

That couldn't be worse news to hear. How effin cruel. I decided to come back to rocketry, spent a ton of money on new rockets, electronics, looking forward to a better field than any I had experienced with SARG and Poof! . . . gone before even getting to experience it. Man, I couldn't sleep last nite and decided to work on rockets from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. and wake up to this . . . top it off, Fedex just dropped a package off on my doorstep and yes, it's rocket stuff.

I'm going back to bed

I only wish this were the first day of April

Just have to make the trip to LUNAR Snow Ranch with us now. :)

Last edited:
Make the drive to TCC near Fresno. You wont find a better launch or a better group of people. We would love to have all of you guys! Especially our Dairy Air and October skies launches where the 3 days of launching will make it well worth your trip. With free camping!

Make the drive to TCC near Fresno. You wont find a better launch or a better group of people. We would love to have all of you guys! Especially our Dairy Air and October skies launches where the 3 days of launching will make it well worth your trip. With free camping!

Yes Dairy Aire is a great launch and great site. Monthly launching however, is tough, as it's nearly 5 hours drive to Carruthers, each way. Never been to October Skies, but will have to include it in this year's launch schedule.

Well, I guess I'll have more time to build. If only I had Nathan's patience and skill in both building and finishing, but I'm the guy who grabs three rockets at a time and they end up trading paint. Often, my rockets take more damage in transport and storage than they do at a launch.

We had it good with a one square mile lot with no trees, wires, or crops and we had that wonderful view of the snow covered sierras. We may have to consider finding something close to Reno (not the playa) to get wide open spaces. Or, if anyone in our group is secretly a billionaire, maybe we could buy the lot from the developer to create Northern California's first full-time rocketry park.

We will survive, carpooling, or even private charter buses would be a great way to haul all our gear to who knows where.

SARG members... network... ask your friends, employers, relatives, local farmers, ranchers, gravel and quary owners, real estate types, etc... if they have an suggestions for a large open area, off from highway, houses, open land, away from airports..... got to be someone with leads.... officers will follow up with promising leads.

Mean while. LUNAR, TCC, the Nevada clubs, Black Rock launches, etc......

Boy that sucks. Sorry to hear it. If I ever win the Megabucks I promise to buy Properties specifically dedicated to launching Rockets.

Boy that sucks. Sorry to hear it. If I ever win the Megabucks I promise to buy Properties specifically dedicated to launching Rockets.

You read my mind, I'd buy the property on the site we just lost and the surrounding properties also (if available). Plus, if the jackpot was large enough, I'd buy Groom Lake, NV (lol) for big launches and turn over management of the property to a group like Aeropac. Only problem with Groom Lake is the cost of cleaning up all the hazardous waste they left behind.

You read my mind, I'd buy the property on the site we just lost and the surrounding properties also (if available). Plus, if the jackpot was large enough, I'd buy Groom Lake, NV (lol) for big launches and turn over management of the property to a group like Aeropac. Only problem with Groom Lake is the cost of cleaning up all the hazardous waste they left behind.

Yeah, I've looked at the Satelite Pics' and that place is Crater City! I'de probably wear MOPP Gear if I had to go there.

Sorry to hear that...
Being involved in both RC flying and rocketry I know how you feel too.
Since starting with those activities ...the clubs I have been associated with have lost or been told to cease activities at
five RC flying fields and two rocket launching sites.

Development was the reason for two closures, conflicting interest with sports activities at one and angry adjacent property owners on another.

Last edited:
Back