Royal Artillery English Electric Blue Water

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcp

Reaction score

AFAICT this appears to be a potential scale subject that has never been addressed.

Blue Water development was started in the late '50s as a European replacement for the unwieldy Corporal tactical missile. Unfortunately, it was canceled in favor of the U.S. Sergeant, even though the Sergeant was 3x more expensive and shorter range.

YooniqImages_216313565.jpg Blue Water OpenSCAD.JPG

I've found no dimensions for Blue Water, other than the following:
Diameter: 0.61 m
Span: 2.06 m
Length: 7.6 m

Pretty slim, but the photo above is nearly orthogonal, and in addition, we have the wheelbase of the Bedford 4x4 truck in the above photo at 3.962 m. From that and a few other photos, I've scaled the above OpenSCAD model. It still needs some more details, and I expect to go through everything again to double-check, but I will provide the scaled dimensions soon.

The missile shown in the video and above photo is almost certainly a training mock-up, as in other pictures it doesn't appear to have a nozzle. However, the configuration does appear to conform closely to the photos of the missile in flight.
bluewater_1.jpg

In color photos, the mock-up appears to be dark olive green, with no markings at all. All the flight photos I've seen are B&W, with few markings. I've scraped pretty much everything I could find off the interwebs, including the following pictures and a few others that are less useful. If you can find anything else I'd appreciate it.

There are long discussions on some forums about the Blue Water being developed as an air-to-ground missile for the TSR-2 aircraft, but other notes are pretty definite about that never going beyond a vague proposal and drawing.

Aircraft Manufacturers-BAC-1961-15236.jpg BWsm.jpg bluewater.jpg Military 0215.jpg 709887ef-1.jpg

Would be a challenge. The multiple conic sections would be fun to do (for a certain value of "fun"). The forward fins are going to move the CP waaay to the nose, and would require the CG to do the same to keep it stable. Or make them removable for flight.

Wow, I have never seen that one before now. Very neat looking missile, and very "British" looking too!

I think it would be a fun mid-high power project. A perfect case for the free floating forward fin technique (AKA "fffft..." :rolleyes: )

A perfect case for the free floating forward fin technique (AKA "fffft..." :rolleyes: )
Like the Cosmodrome BB VC?
Black_brant_VC_Internal_finlets_sm.jpg

Helps to minimize destabilizing forces on the forward fins, from what I understand.
Maybe offsets windcocking? IDK.

Another in a long line of superb British military projects that were cancelled for political exigency.
Tally ho, pip pip and all that rot.

IMG_20200113_162006.jpg Recently upgraded with 3D printed parts to simplify assembly. (well, and I can't get the bearings any more).

Last edited:
Haven't been able to find one, but I haven't done an exhaustive.search. With a couple of basic dimensions (even just the diameter) you could do pretty well using the photos (sport scale, anyway).

Almost started a pseudo-scale boilerplate model this past weekend using an Estes AMRAAM kit. Basically, it would just involve new fins and a large blob of clay jammed up in the nose. Wasnt going to worry too much about the tail cone initially...

Refined a few dimensions, added airfoil and mounting brackets to fins. OpenSCAD code is attached, dims are 1:1 in mm. As always, .txt file must be renamed to .scad for use with OpenSCAD.
Blue Water OpenSCAD2.JPG

Attachments

• Blue Water OpenSCAD.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 23
Blue Water 1-25.png2020-06-19 14_11_22-_Rocket (Blue Water 1-25 scale 13mm motors.ork).jpg
I think I'll look at this again, making the body break after the guide fins and using a pivot for them; that much nose weight is a bit much for an 'A' motor. Notice that the CP is certainly worse than indicated here, as about 10% of the main fin area is effectively embedded within the tail cone.

Attachments

• Blue Water 1-25 scale 13mm motors.ork
    2.1 KB · Views: 8
Back