Rowan University Rocketry - AIAA-llstars

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IComeFromM31

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Rocketeers!

Who Are We?
My name is Tyler Harlow and i am an Electrical Engineering student at Rowan University in New Jersey. More importantly, i am a member of our University's chapter of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics. Over the past year many in our club have developed an interest in rocketry from all realms low power to sounding! At the time i am posting this the collective members of our club have constructed many low to mid power rockets. More specifically, i have compiled a team of 7 ambitious mechanical/electrical engineering students passionate about rocketry. You can find out more about the club's eboard members here: https://rowanaiaa.org/?page_id=24 The site is under construction and will change after upcoming e-board elections but you can additionally find a gallery to see some other things the club has done over the past year or so.

What Are We Doing?
My team and I are currently working on our first high powered prototype. We are using the blue tube phenix Sr. kit from always ready rocketry (which is a fantastic starter kit and you can find it herehttps://www.alwaysreadyrocketry.com/product/blue-phenix-sr-kit/)
We intend to use this kit to prototype our avionics and other payloads at our local fields which have waivers for lower altitudes. We do however plan to test it on a range of motors so long as we dont exceed local waivers. As i mentioned before this is our first high powered build and we are mostly using it as a learning experience for construction under the guidance of multiple amazing NAR mentors. May i say the rocketry community is fantastic!

What Are Our Plans?
Our ultimate goal is to compete in the Intercollegiate Rocket Engineering Competition out in green river Utah. I have seen threads on here with responses from a few members who have either gone to or even judged at the competition. It only makes sense that a competition of this magnitude would have a member presence on this forum. We are already registered, have drafted and simulated a design plan, and have just won a grant from the student government association here at Rowan to supplement our clubs budget to fund this project!

What is IREC?
For those of you unframiliar with IREC ill summarize here:
1.) the goal is to launch 10 lbs. to 10,000ft in the basic category
2.) there is an advanced category we hope to enter in the future!
3.) it is the largest collegiate rocket competition (i believe the largest overall?)
4.) there are currently 75 university teams from 6 continents registered for the 2016 competition and counting!
5.) groups can build commercial off the shelf but will win more points for scrath building
6.) because scrath building is encouraged, many things the NAR would not allow, are allowed in this competition
7.) there are sponsor challenges such as the SDL payload challenge with cash prizes for engineering innovation
8.) launch date is scheduled for mid June if weather cooperates!
9.) the competition is hosted by Utah's own non profit organization, The Experimental Sounding Rocket Association you can find their website along with any other contest details here https://www.soundingrocket.org/

In Conclusion:
Those involved in our local NAR chapter have been extremely helpful. This forum is evidence that the community extends far beyond our local fields and the weath of experience can be a great asset to our team. In this thread i will post updates of the progress our team makes. We are always looking for those things we may not consider in design and are looking to make the best rockets we can so suggestions and questions are welcomed and encouraged! And maybe people can learn from our experiences as well.

In the coming months i will post to this thread build photos from our prototype. Furthermore as our parts for the competition build come in i will post updates of that rocket as well, in addition to any personal rocket projects our ambitios members take on in their own time.

Check back for updates and thanks for reading!

Here are some build photos from the phenix!

The picture of it "assembled" is a bit of false advertising, the fin can still needs to be mounted into the airframe we just snapped it together to show it off at a few events including our project pitch to get the funding for the IREC build. The visual was very effective our funding was unanimously approved by the student senators in the student government association.

20151110_205545.jpg20151110_205713.jpg20151110_205728.jpg20151110_210205.jpg20151110_210209.jpg20151110_210232.jpgconstruction_1.jpgconstruction_2.jpgconstruction_3.jpgconstruction_4.jpg

Back