Rokitflite Kit Status

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokitflite

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just a quick note to all that have inquired about Rokitflite kits; All kits are currently on hold due to the fact that I have not been able to obtain decent decal paper. A little ways back I posted that I was having issues with decal paper. I have been buying decal paper from Tango Papa for several years. A couple of years ago I started getting TERRIBLE paper from Tango Papa and it seemed to be the fault of the company that manufactures the paper, not Tango Papa. I sent samples of the good and bad paper to the parent company and went back and forth with a company rep trying to get the problem straightened out. Everyone I spoke to gave me the same response; “Well, nobody else has complained.” The new paper I have been getting either has a different glue composition or simply not enough glue. The result is that even if the decal is applied onto a perfectly clean, smooth surface, once it dries is “silvers”. The older decal paper I have lays down beautifully compared to the new stuff, and I have now wasted hundreds of dollars on Alps cartridges and paper from several different companies. Until I can find a new source for decal paper or my old supplier gets the problems straightened out, I will not be producing any more kits. I apologize to all of those folks who have been waiting patiently, but I will not sell a crap product.

Thanks for keeping us posted, Scott. Have you discussed this issue with Sandman or other kit/decal vendors?

He has mentioned it to me.

I just got 500 sheets of paper from Tango papa. Nobody has let me know of any problems yet and I've used up about 200 sheets already.

I think if there was a problem somebody would have said something by now.

Just my 2 cents.

Bummer, Scott.

Have you considered having decals printed for you? Considering the expense you've gone through thus far, it might be cheaper in the long run.

I have no idea about minimum orders, etc. Just tossing out ideas.

-Kevin

Hi All,

Just a quick note to all that have inquired about Rokitflite kits; ... The older decal paper I have lays down beautifully compared to the new stuff, and I have now wasted hundreds of dollars on Alps cartridges and paper from several different companies. ...

Thanks for the update. If it would make any difference, I'd be willing to purchase kits with "decals to follow at an unspecified future date and no whining allowed". :)

Thanks for the update. If it would make any difference, I'd be willing to purchase kits with "decals to follow at an unspecified future date and no whining allowed". :)

Great suggestion. At the rate I build, I could wait years for the decals. In fact, maybe a coupon that says:

"I'm done with my kit, and it is actually painted. I am now ready for you to send my decals."
:)

Great suggestion. At the rate I build, I could wait years for the decals. In fact, maybe a coupon that says:

"I'm done with my kit, and it is actually painted. I am now ready for you to send my decals."
:)

At my build rate, mine would be listed on eBay by my widowed wife describing it as "rocket kit appears complete other than no decals." BuyItNow=$5.00

At my build rate, mine would be listed on eBay by my widowed wife describing it as "rocket kit appears complete other than no decals." BuyItNow=$5.00

What's you PayPal address....
:p

This isn't a "FIX" but if anyone is concerned you may have decals with questionable adhesive, I've found desolving a couple, three drops of white glue into the water will give a little extra boost to the bond. The trick is to make sure some of the "water" gets on the backside of the film. FWIW
I know Scott personally and professionally and a finer person you won't meet. His integrity is matched only by his skill. I know he has not made this descission lightly and is diligently persuing a solution. I for one can't wait as I like many want to aquire one of his kits.

Back