rocksim V8.0

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenix708

Reaction score
Did anyone else get an E-mail to download a beta of Rocksim 8.0?
I got one and went through the sign up but the download link is dead. Any help is greatly appreciated....

i got the email but since the mac version isn't ready yet i didn't try the link.

Never mind...the link is working now. I had tried it on two different computers and I got page not found. The file is on its way ..........:D

I had that problem aswell... Now I've got it downloaded, its coming up saying the Zip is corrupt :rolleyes:

Phil

I cant get the demo to open any of the rocksim files. Anyone else having this problem?

Dan

The way my E-mail reads the offer for beta testing was sent to people on Apogees newsletter list. If you were signed up you got first crack at it.
They go on to mention that they are planning on making a public announcement in the near future for everyone. Their website is: https://www.apogeerockets.com.

Hey dbarrm,
Are you talking about the rocksim 8.0 Beta? If you are, one thing I read was that the files have to be version 6 or newer. If they aren't , use version 6 or 7 and SAVE them. Then you can open them in 8. Hope this helps.

I've signed up for that newsletter twice, but don't seem to get it.
I must be on the other (sh*t) list. :D

Greg

Was it in the same email as the newsletter announcement? I got that but as usual didn't read it and just went to the newsletter.

BTW, I went through a long period of time where I couldn't sign up for the newsletter. IIRC Tim had to clean me out of his system and then he manually signed me up.

Hey guys,
I have two threads I am trying to watch and play pool with the kids :D . If you want I can post the link to sign up if that would help............Let me know.........

I got the link in my email, but when I try to open it, it says it is too busy.

Originally posted by AlexM

I bought Rocsim 7.0, and get the newsletter, but did not get any email to download 8.0...

but i only purchased 7.0 in december.. wonder if that has anything to do with it?

later
Jerryb

This is a link to download the BETA version of Rocksim 8. This is a test version of the program that is up to be downloaded for people to test and report back on any problems they find. Nothing to do with when you bought rocksim 7 :)

Phil

Originally posted by 11Bravo
I've signed up for that newsletter twice, but don't seem to get it.
I must be on the other (sh*t) list. :D

Greg

We don't have one of those lists. But if I did...

There are several reasons you may have been dropped off. The most common is a email address change.

Also, if for any reason the email message bounces back to the server, it will purge that email address from the list. It is an automated process; the reason is that we don't want to be accused of sending out SPAM.

A lot of people sign up to receive the newsletter, and forget to turn off their spam filters. So the first newsletter sent to their account bounces back to our server. Then it is purged.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Originally posted by AlexM

The server can only take so many downloads at a time. While everyone is downloading, it even kicks me out. If you get that error, just try back a little later when fewer people are trying to download.

Tim-
I don't know why, no e-mail change, no problem with spam filter, just one of those things that will never be explained.
Gotta love computers once in a while.
I'm hoping v8 is great; I really like RS7.
While I have your attention, I'd like to ask a question:
Is there any way to stop the 2D simulations at landing instead of having them start over?

Thanks,

Greg

Would it be to much to ask for someone to send me the BSD Rocketry 38 Special file for Rocksim V.8. This is the only version I have and cant do the open save with a older version to get it to work with V.8.

Dan

I AM signed up and get the newsletter, but I didn't get a seperate e-mail offering the demo. Was the link in the last newsletter announcement and I just missed it? I, of course, deleted the letter....:(

yes, the invitation was part of the email announcement of the newsletter. it is good to read them, sometimes Tim lists special deals only to those on the list and only if you READ it:)

Upon further review...

there was a link to the beta in the last newsletter i got... just didnt scroll down far enough to see it.

later
Jerryb

Originally posted by 11Bravo

Is there any way to stop the 2D simulations at landing instead of having them start over?

Thanks,

Greg

I assume you're talking about the 2D flight profile. It runs in a continous loop.

You can drag the slider bar slowly across the bottom to simulate the launch. And then it will stop when the rocket lands.

I pulled down the Mac beta and immediately found a problem...

I can't run it! It requires OS10.3 or later and I'm only running 10.1.5... :(

Guess I'll have to pull down the PC version until I can upgrade to the newer OS.

I have hit a wall with the PC version - you have to install it into an existing directory - and I didn't. It failed to install and now returns a 147 error which means it can't be installed on this machine. I'm going to have to try elsewhere now - very frustrating.

Originally posted by elbmod
I have hit a wall with the PC version - you have to install it into an existing directory - and I didn't. It failed to install and now returns a 147 error which means it can't be installed on this machine. I'm going to have to try elsewhere now - very frustrating.
I ran into the same problem. I reported the problem to Tim @ Apogee. Something in the installer changes some hidden setting on the computer that prevents the v8 beta release and any v8 free version from ever installing on that machine.

GRRRRRR!:mad:

I'm running my EMRR contest entries through the PC version of 8 since my Mac won't run it and it is giving me some substantially different results from my version 7 data. I've already got a couple of pages of notes to forward to Tim...

Todd,
I'm still trying to get RockSim8 beta installed, so I can't try this out for myself yet, but...

Is it possible that the simulation settings are different between the two programs?

In RockSim 7 go to Edit > Application Settings > Simulation. I believe the default RockSim7 settings are 800 samples/sec using Explicit Euler method. I have found that results may change when using 4th-order Runga-Kuta and increasing to 2000 samples/second. For most rockets the difference was small, but for designs with marginal stability, the differences may be huge.

If RockSim8 is using different default settings, that might explain the differences in your simulations results.

I think 800 samples/sec and Euler are the default v8 settings as well.

For 1D flight, the choice of time step and and integration scheme have minor effects on the results. Euler with 100 samples is the same as RK4 with 2000 samples for practical purposes.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/numeric_methods.pdf

I like to play it safe, however. I always use RK4 and 1000 samples. RK is 4 times the work, but the added computation time is not noticeable on most sims/computers.

I haven't done much with 2D, unstable sims, so the the choice of schemes can very well make a big difference.

Back