Rocketry presentation to 5th graders

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketcharlie

Reaction score
Hi Forum,

I would like to do a rocketry presentation to a 5th grade class to learn some science and have fun at the same time
Can anyone suggest a resource for suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks In Advance

4th bullet under Space Flight is a good intro. There are others listed. Search for "5th" in the page.

LINK--> https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/rocket/topics.htm
If you want to build water rockets, there is some good info here:

LINK-->https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/rocket/rktgrd5exp.html
Tim at Apogee has a 3 video series he did talking to 5th graders. I would click on "YOUTUBE" so it takes you to youtube...then it will show you #2, and #3 after you finish #1 and #2. First video in the series here:

Don't start with the boring science stuff. Ask questions to stimulate the curiosity... And gently answer, several times, each time a little deeper...

OP here,

Thanks so much folks. I have watched Tim's first two videos so far. I have some ideas now and I'm getting excited about this.

Thanks Again

OP here,

Thanks so much folks. I have watched Tim's first two videos so far. I have some ideas now and I'm getting excited about this.

Thanks Again
I did a presentation for my son’s 5th grade class years ago. I was amazed at how engaged every single student was. You will have a great time!

Keep it fun get them up and moving around if you can.
I got this idea from @jflis if you have a big box or a table can work. Get several kids inside pushing in all directions as you pull the kids pushing aft out the box will accelerate in the opposite direction. I modified this for staging 3 kids in chairs in a line. 4-5 pushing the stack as 1st stage, 2-3 pushing for second stage and 1-2 for third stage. I've done this with cub scouts several times. They are likely smarter than you expected so be sure you're talking with them and not at /down to them.

Bring a rocket to show off. Bring launch pictures and/or video. If you get the chance, and all other conditions permit, take them out to the soccer field (or whatever) and launch a couple as part of the talk; start inside, launch a couple, then go back in. All this is in addition to answering questions and guiding the answers toward the science, as @cls said.

I like water rockets for this type of activity. No fire objections from TPTB, no eye gouging launch rods, endless "motors".

I usually give everyone a 2L bottle, 3 or 4 pre-cut dowels, some poster board (for a tail dragging ring fin), and copious amounts of duct tape and crafting supplies. Build and fly on the same day. Once the basic aircraft is constructed, kids are free to get as creative as they desire. I make suggestions, talk about stability and recovery, etc. I have an air compressor adapter and a bike pump adapter for my Clark cable launcher, so we can fly anywhere.

Back