Rocketarium Cerberus Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Garvin

Male Strumpet
Reaction score
For my NARTREK Silver Level, I have to build and fly a cluster rocket of at least 3 motors. I chose the Cerberus from Rocketarium. This sleek bird flies on 3 18mm motors, from A's to C's......I bet she really screams on 3 C6's......

C1.jpg

Pretty standard fare kit, it was packaged well and everything was there.

C2.jpg

Laying out all the parts, seems to be a nice kit. I do not like the chute though, it's like a very thin plastic bag from the dry cleaners. I'm going to replace it with a better one.

First order of business is to assemble the motor mounts. There are 3 tubes for 18 mm motors, 3 thrust rings and a bulkhead...sort of a change from the typical centering rings, but the body tube functions as that. Install the thrust rings:

C3.jpg

Then glue the tubes together. Carefully glue the first two and when setup, add the third tube taking care to make sure they're even:

C4.jpg

Then install the bulkhead to the end with the thrust rings. It's an exact fit, getting them centered up on the bulkhead. I also filleted the joint between the motors:

C4a.jpg

The fins are two part. They're pretty thick, but man they're the softest balsa I've ever worked with:

C5.jpg

The instructions have you install the rear fins first, and when setup install the longer front fins to them and the body tube. I decided to deviate a bit and glue the fins together, taking care to get them even. Once setup, I'll sand them together, then sand each one, rounding the edges. I'll be able to get them even and like each other, much better this way:

C6.jpg

The motor tube assembly is inserted and glued into the body tube leaving 3/16" of the motor assembly exposed.

C8.jpg

That's it for the night....I'll let everything cure overnight and get the rocket glued up tomorrow. If I start early enough I might get a coat of primer on tomorrow night.

I also have a glider to build...I chose the Astron Skydart II....I hope to get a 30 second flight out of it....a guy had one at the last launch and it was setup well...the flights were really nice...big slow circles all the way back down.

Last edited:
This is a nice rocket. I built mine stock, including the 'chute. Haven't had any issues with it, other than it'll drift almost off our field in Frisco even on 3-B4s.

I agree with you on the balsa being pretty soft. This has been true of all of my Rocketarium kits

Finished up the basic build of this rocket:

Attached the first fin as reference:

C9.jpg

Then each in turn, letting them setup a bit between applications:

C10.jpg

All 4 done and the launch lug, assembly is done. Primer is shot and tomorrow will get the color coats:

C11.jpg

Pretty simple assembly...but immediately after the Saturn V most will seem that way......

Another thing I need to do for this kit is create a clip whip....I've researched this and see how they're put together to get the motors to fire in parallel instead of series......but I'm not an electronics guy and have never soldered anything in my life....I guess soldering wires together and alligator clips on the end....is a simple way to start.....

Simpler than that - use Quest Q2G2 igniters and just twist the leads together to form the parallel circuit, then use your regular launcher clips. Works very very well.

Neat lookin' rocket by the way. Like I need another kit.......!

How did I miss this thread? Damn 3 cluster.. Nice! You always got the cool toys! Interested to see this puppy fly.. Nice build so far!

I've seen a few writeups on wiring the igniters together in a way to use the existing 2 clip system.....but my rocket geek is kicking in and my desire to tinker in a more complex fashion is somewhat overwhelming.....must build a clip whip......must build it......

I don't have an artistic bone in my body. I get disqualified from Hangman.....I decided to try a paintjob of multi-colors....the idea being hot, since it's 3 motors....it turned out okay I guess, but maybe I should change the name from Cerberus to Candy Corn....

C12.jpg

C13.jpg

C14.jpg

Once the rain and high humidity clears out, it'll get a couple coats of clear to seal everything up and harden the surface.....When she does fly, I'll get some pictures since the first flight will be for NARTREK Silver....

That turned out awesome! I love the lines and your paint job is great! On my one and only three motor cluster, I soldered lead wires to Estes ignitors and twisted the leads together. I don't like the idea of a clip whip because of the possibility of failure with all of those clips. One of the clips could not make good contact, and there's a chance that two or more of the clips could touch shorting it out. I checked the continuity of each ignitor separately with a multimeter before twisting the leads together.

lunar_launch_050110_176.JPG

lunar_launch_050110_180.JPG

lunar_launch_050110_196.jpg

Simpler than that - use Quest Q2G2 igniters and just twist the leads together to form the parallel circuit, then use your regular launcher clips. Works very very well.
Neat lookin' rocket by the way. Like I need another kit.......!

I agree! The leads on the Q2G2s are long enough and very easy to twist together.
I've flown my three engine cluster Semroc Defender 4 times and only needed two micro clips.
All were launched on a 12 volt club system.

Back