Rocket Series

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaceshuttle

Reaction score
have any of you started your own series of rockets. something equivalent to space shuttles or saturns?

This forum is chock full of vendors. jflis is the proprietor of FlisKits. Dr. Zooch has a nice line of "Ant Scale" rockets. Several others as well. Go peak in the Vendors forum to get a taste.

I have a great selection of kits. (Shamless plug) More than enough to keep you well stocked!

Actually, I think he is asking if, as modelers, any of us have created our own *series*, eg: someone scratchbuilding all the ships from StarTrek or StarWars or a different set of related scale models or even a made up series (like FlisKits has members of the "United Solar Planetary Federation"...

Or did I miss too?? :)

Originally posted by jflis
Actually, I think he is asking if, as modelers, any of us have created our own *series*, eg: someone scratchbuilding all the ships from StarTrek or StarWars or a different set of related scale models or even a made up series (like FlisKits has members of the "United Solar Planetary Federation"...

That's the way I interpreted the message so either we are both very intuitive or we're both clueless. ;) :p

Originally posted by jflis

OOPs.:eek:

Originally posted by spaceshuttle
have any of you started your own series of rockets. something equivalent to space shuttles or saturns?

Yes, a few different designs.

One is a single layer carbon fiber ultra high performance design. I'm presently working on the 4th one, which is a replica of the second. The third didn't out perform the second so I'm going to copy the second and make sure it wasn't some sort of fluke. If the copy performs like the second, I can figure out what was better about this design, and build on it. The goal is setting the G power altitude record.

The second is similar, but it's larger, carbon over kraft paper, and with reinforcement for high power motors. These are built based on the first design. Since the third of the other series wasn't better, I didn't replicate it with these. Ill wait to do build the next one until I come up with another improvement in the first design.

The third is a "minimum diameter cluster" design, where the airframe is just the 3 motor tubes, full length, rather than being short ones encased in a larger body. It weighs the same as a single larger tube would, but is stronger and has only 2/3 the frontal cross section (the major source of drag). The down side to this design is the nose cones or transitions to a payload section have to be sculpted to go smoothly from three tubes to one (or to a point). That takes two to three hours no counting finishing. This is also on its 4th version, this time using heavy walled foil lined tube and carbon laminated fins. The motor section is longer too. The others were for Estes E motors. These will hold motors up to 7" (Ellis Mountain G37s).

I like building new kits, and love bashing together stray parts into oddball designs. But I also want to make things that are the very best they can be, and the only way to do that is build, test, and improve.

Yeap! several series,
all the manned flight series, Bell-X1 to the Shuttle, started a Nike boosted series, smoke, cajun,apache,asp,tomahawk..., is that what you were asking?

I guess my series is my fleet of Mouldy Crows. All are 29mm minimum diameter but I have all different versions. Slight changes in fin shape and thickness, different airframe materials, different overall lengths, dual deploy capable or not, etc. My favorite is probably my simple all fiberglass version without dual deploy. It is easy to prep and can hit mach 1.2 on an H268.

Actually I had considered doing a series of my own designs with "themed" designs and names.

I'll probably never do it:rolleyes:

Back