Rocket powered R/C vehicles...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pr_rocket04

Reaction score
What is the coolest (in your opinion) rocket-powered R/C vehicle you have ever seen (excluding gliders)?

In all honesty, I believe the only thing I have ever seen, is a rocket powered military unmanned plane. I know there are rocket drag cars, but I'm not too sure what speeds they run, or if they are R/C controlled.

The reason I am asking this, is because I soon would like to start a long-term project to be rocket powered, not leave the ground, and house a video camera. I could shove a K motor in my 1/5th scale R/C car (what everyone I know wants to see), but I have another project in mind...a rocket-powered R/C snow sled. This seems like the best idea for friction incurred on the various on-ground scenarios.

I'd like to start with maybe a short burn I motor to test the idea, then lead up to something like a K or L motor in a larger design. I plan to slow it down with brakes and a large chute.

Any suggestions? Also, I've come to the conclusion that on a wide 4 ski sled, a 5 degree exhaust slant should keep it adequately planted, as well as using front and rear wings for downforce...is this about right? I plan to definitely have inboard suspension, with a very low-slung aero profile, with flat carbon suspension arms also used for downforce.

Then again, the K motor in the 5th scale sounds so much easier...

hmmm. better yet...dig out the old pair of roller blades in your closet... :D:D:D
do you think you would need brakes in addition to a chute?? maybe only as a "fail safe" in case something goes wrong? I'd just run it with a chute... a big chute. A rocket sled sounds oh oh sooo coool.

Maybe look at some pics of some of the vehicles they've used to break the world land speed record for some ideas of interesting/cool looking shapes. I've seen some insanely cool designs on shows I've seen about them on tv. just my .02

I have wanted to build a rocket powered boat to go across the water on a K250. That would be fun to watch going across a lake but it would have to be almost no wind and that doesnt happen much here. The boat is designed and ready to be built I just need the motor and a good place to make it go!

That sled is...so incredibly simple!

Talk about bolting on a rocket motor!

You see, I think the sled is the best idea mainly due to the ease of design in its working function, and fact that once it is cruising it should coast for a long time without enduring too much friction. The suspension design can be stolen from an R/C formula 1 design, and the body I feel will turn out to be a short pointy wedge. The body may look like crap in the end, but I hope to build a plate chassis and suspension components from carbon fiber.

I think it will benefit most from something like an I600 up to a K1275 etc., something with light weight and a quick powerful burn to get it up to speed. But, I imagine you could go the other way and use a long burn, but I think what I'm really aiming for is achieving landspeed with the vehicle (no, not any records).

As for the boat idea, that sounds equally as interesting, actually...anything with a rocket motor strapped to it sounds interesting. :D

Not to be a wet mop or anything but I believe you folks need to check your safety codes. I seem to remember something that lead me to beleve we do not launch things along the ground. I believe that's one of the reasons Estes cars have drawn such a storm since their release.

Launcher. I will launch my rocket from a launch rod, tower, or rail that is pointed to within 30 degrees of the vertical to ensure that the rocket flies nearly straight up, and I will use a blast deflector to prevent the motor's exhaust from hitting the ground.

Last I checked a remote control sled isn't a rocket.

Phil

Originally posted by Micromeister
Not to be a wet mop or anything but I believe you folks need to check your safety codes. I seem to remember something that lead me to beleve we do not launch things along the ground. I believe that's one of the reasons Estes cars have drawn such a storm since their release.

John, if you could cite the online reference it would remove any doubt or cause for debate. Please don't take this as a counter productive remark, but as a "Yield" sign for the sake of avoiding counter productive online debate.

How about launching the "rocket sled" out on a frozen lake?

That's not "on the ground" it's "on the ice".

Originally posted by jcrocket
Since you quoted the 'safety code', perhaps you could post the definition of 'rocket' as defined by 1122 and explain why you believe that statement when rocket powered RC gliders (non-vertically launched) and flying wings do not qualify as 'rockets'.

Who said RCBG and RG's aren't rockets? they are and are launched vertically or nearly vertically, within 30° of vertical per the safety codes.
Anyone should be able to reason that if something is powered by a Rocket motor it is by the fact alone a rocket.
Test sleds are called rocket powered test sleds when powered by rocket motors. Jet and rocket powered cars and boats are called Jet or rocket powered depending on the power plant.
Moreover the safety issue is about potential damage from such devices, not the terminology of the code. People need to use a little common sense. This Hobby has servived all these year by the hobbiest using their heads for something other then a hat rack not persuing such asinine things. I said this in another thread recently, but it is REALLY needed here "Think before you ACT".
Here again out in the middle of the desert somewhere or a frozen lake in some isolated area one might get away with such things but your average Joe posting to this forum isn't likely to be in that position. More likely a Kid, teenager or someone NOT really thinking the matter completely through. Directional control, distance traveled and methods of recovery not withstanding Launching an Rocket powered anything along the ground isn't a very wise thing to do.

All I'm saying, is out there, someone is going to do it...

Maybe Mythbusters, maybe a race team etc. Are rocket dragsters certified with TRA or NAR? I think not (although I am).

Heck Mythbusters just spun a dummy around a freaking swingset with an M motor, now tell me they were even certified...they had to use like 3 motors before they could even get it to work.

Well, I'm not trying to start an argument, but risks are always involved. It isn't my fault if some kid goes out and does something stupid, he made that choice. If you disagree, and you have kids, then I hope you don't allow them to watch TV.

As far as using a certed motor, if this would cause a big storm, no biggie, I make a much cheaper experimental motor.

Things like this have to be discussed somewhere, whether it be around a launch site or in a forum, you can't run hiding from every idea that comes to mind (no matter what, kids are most likely going to hear about it). And heck, I just might pull it off perfectly.

Now tell me, how do I obtain this certain permission needed to build my own rocket sled?

My interpretation of the snipped of Safety Code I quoted is that it's for things that are intended to fly. I really don't see how a sled/car/boat falls under NAR/TRA rules. Of course that's just me, and I could be completely wrong.

Phil

id check with local authorities where you'll be launching it...you may have to pay a fee for holding a "demonstration", but they might let you fire it off...

Originally posted by WiK
My interpretation of the snipped of Safety Code I quoted is that it's for things that are intended to fly. I really don't see how a sled/car/boat falls under NAR/TRA rules. Of course that's just me, and I could be completely wrong.

Phil

I think it's mainly due to the fact I mentioned certed motors.

When I think of something in my head, I may need to get the picture out using a certed motor as an example. As stated, making an ex motor is no biggie for me, but beyond that, there is really no room to argue this idea...as ideas like this are being carried out everywhere...

I mean, post #3's link anyone???

BUILD THE SLED--for god's sake man, Don't let NAR/TRA scare you!!! :D just don't try to file a claim with them if it damages something :D:D:D I do like the idea of launching on a frozen lake. If mythbusters can do it, so can you!!! :D:D IMHO (too much drama....I know...:D)

Originally posted by r1dermon
id check with local authorities where you'll be launching it...you may have to pay a fee for holding a "demonstration", but they might let you fire it off...

I will definitely check, but under assumption, it is a private activity (we have flat land available for use), and if the motor(s) are ex, I wouldn't think this would fall under regulation. But, the ice lake idea has really got me thinking, so I may need to head up North somewhere, since I'm from IL, and there will not be favorable conditions until next winter here. Then again, it may not be complete until next winter with the way carbon supplies are going.

are fireworks legal in your state? i dont know, im sure if you fired off a K, someone would notice and call police, and they'd try to confiscate your vehicle or whatever...i've had it happen to me before when i used a hanger and steel wool to make a gigantic sparkler..

Originally posted by r1dermon
are fireworks legal in your state? i dont know, im sure if you fired off a K, someone would notice and call police, and they'd try to confiscate your vehicle or whatever...i've had it happen to me before when i used a hanger and steel wool to make a gigantic sparkler..

LOL.

Yes they are legal...

I thought about this another way. My neighbor has a turbine powered jet that roars. When he flies it, it starts on the ground, and proceeds to the air. This is the jet, it just never leaves the runway. :D

You guys really need to do what would really get the "wow factor" from the crowd, and make scale rocket powered racers:

https://www.leadingedgerocketracing.com/

...some of the other ideas could possibly get you the Darwin Award :rolleyes:

Rocket Powered gliders can be quite awesome...especially on a K250 longburn...

I did read all about that in my Popular Science. Nifty, but, uh, not too plausible...

This is however, and me and another individual are going to start working on drafts of a design tonight.

Main priority, is a design in which nearly every part can be fabricated from carbon, to keep things cheap for me.

I'm just curious, when did this project ever become a "crowd" thing???

This is going to be privately launched...

A video is about the only thing going public.

Wasn't Brent McNeely (of Extreme Rocketry) involved with an organisation a few years ago that ran rocket car races? They had a full safety code of their own and used the stretched wire system for guidance. Rocketman had a kit for this class (HPR size).
I haven't heard anything about it for a while, I remember events near Las Vegas and I think there was a report in 'High Power Rocketry'.

I'm going to send him a message about this organization, and see if he can provide some insight on this topic.

Thanks.

this is a very exciting project! I really look forward to seeing this progress.

However, in the real spirit of TRF, I've got to say;

Come on! be a man! put a 76mm mount in it so you've got the options! :D:D:D:D:D

Just saying....K 1275 is cool......but an L1400, and an M3000 is even cooler!

Never hurts to prepare for the big stuff!

Brent just emailed me back.

There really isn't any regulation at all on this sort of thing, considering the NRCA is gone, just basic land permission, and of coarse safety.

It looks like the NRCA even had an R/C class as well for rocket racers.

Looks like this idea isn't too far fetched after all...

Back