RIP Gloria

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear. I remember her well from the many launches when they were on the East coast. RIP.

She was a great person. After they moved to AZ, they used to come to some of the TCC launches, and they always brought a good time with them. Muchos margaritas. Rest In Peace, Gloria!

Ad Astra, Gloria. I've requested a margarita to be served on your arrival. Her light will returns to the heavens from whence it came. Gregg will be launching his "Cancer Sucks" bird at Lucerne tomorrow in Gloria's honour. I'll have "Red Pumps" at Rocstock. Support those who support us. Donate if you can.

Gregg will be launching his "Cancer Sucks" bird at Lucerne tomorrow in Gloria's honour.

Similarly, would the family be offended if I built a rocket called "cancer sucks" in her honor?

I've had the pleasure of knowing her and Robert for about 10 years now. My most vivid memory of Gloria was back at Dairy Aire a couple of years ago when it was brutally hot, like 108, and I spent most of that Saturday hanging with Gloria underneath the awning with a mister in their motor home. What a fun and sweet lady she was, I'll miss her a lot. My condolences to Robert... he's a great guy too, they were such an awesome pair to have at our launches.

I've had the pleasure of knowing her and Robert for about 10 years now. My most vivid memory of Gloria was back at Dairy Aire a couple of years ago when it was brutally hot, like 108, and I spent most of that Saturday hanging with Gloria underneath the awning with a mister in their motor home. What a fun and sweet lady she was, I'll miss her a lot. My condolences to Robert... he's a great guy too, they were such an awesome pair to have at our launches.
Gloria rescued me from the Bonneville heat at HellDRS a couple years ago. She saw me limping past the AMW trailer with a recovered rocket and politely insisted I stop and sit under the awning to cool down and drink a bottle of water. An act of kindness I will never forget. My condolences to Robert and the rest of her family.

We’ve been missing her at the launches, and she put up a heck of a fight. Condolences to Robert and the rest of her family.

CMASS will observe a moment of silence before our launch today in honor of Gloria. We had the wonderful good fortune to have Robert and Gloria living in our area for the time they took over the AMW business and grew it to what it has become today. You couldn't ask for a better on-site vendor. On top of all the rocketry stuff they brought, Gloria would feed the MMMSC section much better food than we would put together ourselves.

I first met Gloria at NARCON 2010 which CMASS hosted. It was soon after her brother had passed but AMW was well represented in the vendor's hall. We communicated often over the years regarding their availability for the launches in Massachusetts and Maine and even about non-hobby activities. Some years back, I needed somebody to pick me up after a medical procedure; this was a procedure Gloria was very familiar with and she and Robert came and got me, took me out for a meal as I had been fasting for two day and she walked me around a local mall a couple of times to make sure I was sharp after the anesthesia.

When they relocated out west, we missed their presence at our launches but they made sure to keep us well supplied. It's been a long struggle for her but she always met it with a great spirit and a loving passion. Our condolences to her friends and family. She will be remembered.

Rest now Gloria.
I'm so sorry Robert..
My deepest condolences..
I am just without words..

Teddy

I only met Gloria and Robert a couple of times, but those were pleasant and memorable occurances.

My wife and I did know Paul Robinson who we met at the NEFAR launches in Florida. At the last launch Paul attended, he fell ill. We had my parent's RV, so we got him to lie down inside where it was cooler. A woman who was there with a scout group was a nurse, so she looked in on Paul and convinced him to call someone to take him to the hospital.

It was only a few days later when Paul called us to say that he had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and that the prognosis was was very grim. And it was just a short time later that we heard about his passing.

My first experience with Gloria was at a TCC launch - October Skies in 2019. I had my granddaughter with me and she made sure that my granddaughter had something to launch, so we walked away with an Estes Crayon rocket and a pack of Bs, I quickly helped the little one build it and we launched it the same day. I will never forget how kind she was.

A couple of years ago my daughter found out that she had colon cancer (at the age of 26) - she has now beat it and is cancer free, however I built a Cancer Sucks rocket in her honor - ironically Gloria sold me some motors for it and the case I needed. This weekend it will be launched in Gloria's memory.

Sending nothing but good thoughts to Robert and family. She really was special.

I never had the good fortune of meeting Gloria, but I spoke to her on the phone about two years ago while trying to get my hands on a set of reloads. She was knowledgeable, polite, and a real professional, I can say that much, and I regret that I never got the opportunity to know her on a real personal level.

If she was anything like Rob or any of the other wonderful vendors I’ve seen at the various SoCal ranges, then her death is indeed a great loss.

Gloria was a great person I had the honor to meet. I don't remember exactly the first time I met her but I spent a lot of time with Robert DeHate and Paul Robinson back when I lived up in NH, so I am sure it was sometime during that time. Last time I had the pleasure of seeing her was driving up to a launch up near buffallo NY. I had a buyer for a few large rockets I and I wanted to buy a few motors from AMW. Unfortunately that day the weather was bad and the road out the the field was not passable. Robert and Gloria were in their camper on the field so we walked through the sticky slippery mud to get to them. Rest in peace my friend

My condolences to all the folks she was able to touch during her time in this world.

Rest In Peace Gloria

I typically don't say much about people who have passed because I have a hard time finding the right words. I'll make an exception for Gloria.

It was always a pleasure dealing with Gloria (and Robert too). She had a fun energy that was delivered in a thick Boston accent. Always positive. Even after her health started to decline and her vision deteriorated, I don't recall her ever complaining. She was a large presence at launches, even just being behind the flight line sitting outside her RV chatting with people. The absence of that big personality will be felt and will definitely be missed.

Robert's a good man. I'm very sorry for his loss. I hope he's doing okay. And I hope to see him at some future launches. Even if he wants to simply share memories of Gloria around the post launch campfire. I'd be happy do listen and share my own.

Back