Ring Wing - Lockheed Airliner Concept

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In theory, you don't get base drag where the exhaust plume of the motor is (I think). So moving the motor around does relocate the base drag a bit, although it shouldn't change the overall quantity.

I'm not even going to try to guess what effect it will have on the rocket. I'm guessing very little. The offset of the motor relative to CG and/or center of drag seems much more relevant, but I don't know how to quantify those either.

So... we'll see times three. :)
Kind of what I was thinking.

Of course, all other things being equal the rocket does whatever the heck it wants to!

Motor Mount Day 01

Cut the homemade Basswood plywood centering rings, Drilled them for the offset motor mount, made a motor retention clip, and then started gluing the BT-50H motor tube.

001.JPG

Motor Mount Day 02

Installing the stuffer tube using a couple of cardboard centering rings. Holding the assembly vertical for drying.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG

Motor Mount Day 03

Gluing the motor mount stuffer tube forward end, and installing the forward eccentric centering ring.

I'll wrap the stuffer tube with electrical tape once the glue has set. Wouldn't want it to split at the seams when the ejection charge goes off.

001.JPG 002.JPG

Last edited:
Motor Mount Day 04

Used some electrical tape to wrap the stuffer tube. A bit of insurance against "rapid spiral disassembly".

002.JPG 003.JPG

Red Oxide Primer Day 01

They were out of the Rustoleum Automotive 2 In 1 Filler / Sandable so I bought a can of Rusty Metal Primer.

001.JPG

Last edited:
Primer Day 02

Sanded the red oxide primer and then recoated with gray Rustoleum 2 in 1 Filler / Sandable.

001.JPG 002.JPG

Can you put the vent hole on the rear centering ring so it doesn’t mess with the cosmetic or aerodynamic surface of the body tube? Or will that location suffer weird pseudo-Krushnic evil forces (Jehoshaphat, now I AM starting to sound like @Daddyisabar !) that will throw the readings off? Maybe @Steve Shannon or the other HPR guys will know.

I was thinking you’d put the altimeter up from to get a CG bonus. Obviously you’ve calculated it in and it’s fine.

Can you put the vent hole on the rear centering ring so it doesn’t mess with the cosmetic or aerodynamic surface of the body tube? Or will that location suffer weird pseudo-Krushnic evil forces (Jehoshaphat, now I AM starting to sound like @Daddyisabar !) that will throw the readings off? Maybe @Steve Shannon or the other HPR guys will know.

I was thinking you’d put the altimeter up from to get a CG bonus. Obviously you’ve calculated it in and it’s fine.

A vent on the aft end will probably be in a low pressure area. You might even end up bathing the altimeter in soot. Also I would expect altitude readings to be overly high.
I would place the vent in the side of the body tube somewhere, but it’s difficult to know where exactly. Cool design!

since the nose cone is gonna be glued in, I am curious for cosmetic purposes why not just glue it in and fill the gap with CWF or bondo?

hiding nose cone lines is one of the things I always felt made rocket like the Little Bucky Jones look extra cool.

1694295884408.jpeg

since the nose cone is gonna be glued in, I am curious for cosmetic purposes why not just glue it in and fill the gap with CWF or bondo?

hiding nose cone lines is one of the things I always felt made rocket like the Little Bucky Jones look extra cool.

View attachment 603123

I like that look too. I'll be using a couple of wood screws to attach the nose cone to the fuselage, that way it can still be removed if need be.

Back