Returning Rocketeer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey! Welcome back!

You’ll find that the fundamentals are still the same but there are a lot of neat design, construction, and launch techniques that were uncommon or just did not exist 20 years ago. 3D printing, LiPo batteries, rail buttons, and more complex electronic payloads are just a few.

Welcome!

One of the most useful free tools in rocketry is OpenRocket. With it you can quickly build a simulated rocket and get approximate altitude and speed estimates. There are hundreds/thousands of OR files out there for kits as well as scratchbuilds. And the program includes a huge set of files for stock parts from Estes, Centuri, PML, almost everyone.

Balsa Machining is one of my go-to sources for parts, mostly low- and some mid-power stuff, as well as motors.

AC Supply has Estes kits and motors that are well-discounted.

Terry

Welcome back to rocketry.

What kind of rocketry are you interested in? Do you have a goal? Photography, videos, build it big, scale, weird stuff, fly high, fly fast or all of them?

I flew Estes rockets back in the 1980's. BlueBird Zero was my baby back then.
Around 1998, I got into drag racing, and then stopped drag racing in 2017.

Found rockets, again, or they found me. If you like craftsmanship, painting, noise, speed, (or burning money) it's a great hobby. It's also very easy to pare it to almost any hobby budget. You can build for A motors or K motors. I like them all.

I mostly got back in for high power, because of the adrenaline loss from no longer racing. If you like high power, go for it. I like the noise and speed.

I'd suggest going to a club launch to see what everyone is doing now. If you get to watch some punchy high power stuff, you may decide to get certified.

I flew Estes rockets back in the 1980's. BlueBird Zero was my baby back then.
Around 1998, I got into drag racing, and then stopped drag racing in 2017.

Found rockets, again, or they found me. If you like craftsmanship, painting, noise, speed, (or burning money) it's a great hobby. It's also very easy to pare it to almost any hobby budget. You can build for A motors or K motors. I like them all.

I mostly got back in for high power, because of the adrenaline loss from no longer racing. If you like high power, go for it. I like the noise and speed.

I'd suggest going to a club launch to see what everyone is doing now. If you get to watch some punchy high power stuff, you may decide to get certified.
Agreed.

Even something like an F52 can give quite a rush if you’ve mainly been flying Estes motors.

Welcome, I got back into this around 2012 and joined the forum but haven't launched since 2013 until recently. Finding a lot of people on the Facebook pages that don't know about this site. I try to spread the word as much as possible. I'm hoping for my L1 soon, and after seeing a L2 cert with a K360 last weekend I'm going at least to that! Have fun!

Latest posts

Back