Retro Rockets from the 50's

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marclee

Reaction score
One of my loves (besides military rocket scale models) is anything to do with those great rockets that peeople envisioned from the early 50's and 60's. You know, the sleek shapes and futuristic style. Most of those were illustrated by a guy named Chelsey Bonestell.

I'm wondering if any of you guys have ever successfully scratch-built or designed anything from any of the Bonestell movies or books from that era? I know Ed Bertschy has some info on his site regarding one of them. I've never seen (heard?) you guys discuss this on the forum. I'm sure somebody shares my affinity for those cool designs.

I'm embarking on a project to scratch-build something from that era, modified to use a 29mm motor and using "modern" construction and recovery techniques (ie, epoxy, fiberglass, nylon chute, etc.).

I wondered if any of you out there had any research that you'd already done. Included below is a link to some examples just so you get the idea of what I'm talking about. Thanks!

Marc

https://www.marccoreylee.wso.net/rockets/retro.htm

The Walt Disney "Tomorrow the Moon" rocket looks very much like the 2X upscale Custom Razor that I'm currently building. I also know that John Coker built a mockup of the Flash Gordon rocket. Other than that, I've not seen much else. I agree with you though that these are way cool. :cool:

Does anyone remember RocketShip XL-5? It was a puppet show that I think was out of Britain.

I thought the RocketShip XL-5 was super cool. I have often thought of building one, but I have never been able to even find a picture.

I assume you have run out and bought Jack Hagerty's Spaceship Handbook? I haven't picked it up yet, but eventually will.

There are the Tin-Tin rockets from across the pond:
https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/descon7/tintinique.html

and, of course the PML Little Lunar Express (dunno if the Big one is still in production)

I think I've seen pics of similar rockets made by Randall Redd, but can't find a reference.

This guy has server sci-fi looking rockets:
https://sal-design.com/hobby_rockets.htm

Someone has converted this paper model to a flying one:
https://www.currell.net/models/friede.htm

Hope these are of interest. Good luck.

OMG!!!

My hearts a pound'in again!!!!!

Fireball XL5 was my favorite show of all time when I was younger; I remember playing with clay and building my own XL5 to fly around. The launch tracks/ramp are probably the most vivid memories I have of the show...dang, now I am daydreaming of it again!

I can't believe the websites on this show...man, guess I am going to have to start designing. Just think, and XL5 on a launch rail, L2 sized!!! :D

Carl

Marclee,

Just looked at your retro photo's...very cool...

I swear thet black and white photo of the rocket sled at the top right looks like it's from the movie "When Worlds Collide", which I have on video.

sweet pics...

There pas a pic of an high-power XL-5 in an old issue of HPR Mag. Was unstable on an I435 and banged into a couple of vehicles. Cool looking rocket. Needs mucho nose weight.

VERY COOL!!!

A L1 bird huh? Well, the noseweight I can do...my 4" x 47" Harpoon is true to scale, flies VERY stable on I211's so far and weighs 6 1/2 pounds dry...

...over 2 pounds of that is noseweight!

So it is do-able! :D

Yeehaa!!!

With the relatively large forward fins, it will sure take a bunch of weight. Time to get some extra tubular nylon/kevlar and do a swing test on that bad boy :D

Whoa...now you guys got me all worked up. Carl, your idea of an L2-sized XL-5 sounds REALLLLY interesting. For the past few weeks I've been looking at these rockets trying to come up with a good one to model.

Rstaff, thanks for the tip on that Jack haggerty book. Believe it or not, I had not heard of it. And thanks for those links. I've been checking 'em all out with a bib on, of course (for drool).

Oh Carl- you're right. That pic is of the "When Worlds Collide" movie. Doesn't it just take you back? I LOVE that one. Those rakish back fins pointing down...that thing had STYLE.

PS- You guys remember that marionette show, "The Thunderbirds" right? Wasn't the XL5 an offshoot from that? The "people" look the same. That show had some incredibly cool rockets as well.

Marc

PS- Carl, just think of the finish possibilities...

:cool:

And, I found it ironic that one of the XL-5 links from that main page I listed goes to "Tina's Live Webcam- a sexy college Coed"... I had no idea.

Marc, once again you are my HERO. Not only are you an entertainment celebrity who will talk to normal (well.... sort of) people, not only do you know *drop* *dead* *gorgeous* Sara Evans, not only do you fly rockets..... but now..... you have supplied me with a link to my beloved Fireball XL-5.

I have DIED and gone to HEAVEN.

Carl, if you do draw up a set of plans, I want a copy. One of these days I WILL build an XL-5.

Thanks again, Marc.

And.... this was a fantabulous idea for a thread. As Uncle Bubba used to say: "Ya done good, ya done REAL good."

Awwww shuks. Really, I just figured some of you guys would share my love of those TV/cartoon rockets. So, I'm not crazy. Whewww.

I'm betting one of us embarks on a scale XL-5 project now that all our childhood memories are stirred up. It would make a great artice for Sport Rocketry- really. Kind of a nice change from the usual missle stuff, ya know?

Ps- and I wanna know which one of you guys actually checked out "Tina's webcam" and will admit it. hahahaha. LOL. Sorry. Glad you liked that XL-5 link, Ken!

Marc

Didn't realize we had a real celeb in our midst. Lets see, first we had a drummer (Rikki Rockett), now a vocalist/geetarist. Soon we'll have a whole band (kinda country-metal?). They could play all the big gigs...LDRS, NSL, etc, etc, etc.

Bill, I couldn't access that link you posted. It says "page not found"...

It didn't work for me either. What I did was edit the URL by deleting the last part, thereby getting to his main page. The subject rocket is then under 'kits' - even though its not a kit.

Oddly enough, I didn't see any difference in that URL and the link provided. ???

Aha! The link you provided has an ending of "x15pd.html" and the correct link should be "xl5pd.html" (the letter l versus the number 1). So the full link is:

https://www.psnw.com/~jmikeh/xl5pd.html

Very cool! And yeah, I do remember "Thunderbirds Are Go". Turns out it was created by the same person as the XL-5 series and used marionettes also.

I bet Carl stayed up all night and has created full-scale plans and Rocksim calculations...hahaha. Did ya do it Carl? If ya did, I'll buy a set. I'd love to build this thing.

marc

PS- I have an update: The guy who "owns" that XL-5 web page that I originally posted for Ken, emailed me back after I inquired as to the status of his construction project (detailed on his page). His name is Steve Rogers and he is out of the Austin, TX area rocketry association. Anyway, he says he's almost done with the scale XL-5 and is planning to launch it at NARCON in April.

Details of his construction project are here:
https://www.ccsi.com/~srogers/hobbies/rockets/mid/fireball/construction.html

Marc Said:

PS- I have an update: The guy who "owns" that XL-5 web page that I originally posted for Ken, emailed me back after I inquired as to the status of his construction project (detailed on his page). His name is Steve Rogers and he is out of the Austin, TX area rocketry association. Anyway, he says he's almost done with the scale XL-5 and is planning to launch it at NARCON in April.

Actually, I want to *show* it at NARCON - there's no launch there, but there is a retro-rockets contest with some great prizes. Check it out:

https://www.narcon2002.org

Steve

Sorry Steve- thanks for that correction. See, I get all excited... and welcome to the forum.

Marc

Boy Howdy!

This thread really brings back memories... I can remember playing Thunderbirds as a boy... we would slide down little ramps we put together and such. Don't remember XL-5.

Marc, I've got tons and tons of ya-ya's, so any more of those boss sites you find, sendem' my way. That Gerry Anderson site is super. I would never have put it together that he was behind all those shows. I used to watch Stingray, and Space 1999 was another favorite.

Too little time, too many rocket project possibilities.

Carl, if you haven't checked that site out.... DON'T GO THERE. You'll go berserk trying to figure out what to design and build first. (Carl... berserk? ... I'm sorry, I'm being redundant).

But for me.... there's no question. As much as I like the other birds there..... Fireball XL-5 was my all-time fav.

Thanks again, Marc. You're alright... in spite of what everyone says about you. :D

LOL!!!!

Ken, I just ordered the Thunderbirds DVD set. YEAH Bay-bee. That's a good Saturday-full of rocket enjoyment. I even ordered the 2002 Thunderbirds catalog. It's got some great photos for scaling some of those models.

And Shhhhhhhhhhh. Don't let all this XL-5 and Thuderbirds talk get to the fans. They'll start whispering "geek" when I walk on stage. Little do they know that, just before going on last night I was working through how I would create the XL-5 transition from the main body to the nose. I kept thinking, "How is Carl going to scale the plans correctly?"... Some cool rock guy I am. Hahahaha.

Thanks to all for the links and ideas on this thread. I really hope one of us builds one of these. Including ME.

Sorry about screwing up that address. I was trying to take it off of the page I had printed out and almost got it right. Cool rocket either way.

Well, I guess I'm hooked. Steve - your site pushed me over the edge. I have and will continue to borrow ideas from it. Since I have of late become enamored with foam poster board, I'll use that for the fins/pods. So far I built one side fin and one pod. The results look promising so I guess I'll continue. Here is a summary of the project. Comments are welcome, of course!

29mm, with option to use a 24mm adapter

Side fins (see pic)-foam board frame, balsa leading edge, basswood spar for strength (thanks Steve), filled with 2-part foam.

Pods (see pic)-foam board laminate with basswood reinforcement. I will add some plywood to the training edge since the pods will probably hit first on landing.

Body-3" LOC tube transitioned to either 2.5" LOC or BT-80.

NC-Fatboy cone, haven't decided on how to add to it.

Top fin-posterboard with dowel reinforcement.

That's all I got for now. This version probably will not be fully to scale but will be close. I was thinking about stretching the design for more stability. Anyone (ie Steve, hint hint) have the length and CG for a working model?

Hey Rstaff- you're doing it!!!!!!!

Good for you! I'll tell ya, I've been wrestling with those danged blueprints, trying to print off a scale version but the resolution of the blueprint image from one of the XL-5 sites is just too low. It goes all to pixel-hell the minute you get beyond a certain enlargement in Photoshop.

So a big question, how'd you do (or how ARE you going to do) the transition from the 3" tube to the BT-80? cardstock covered in fiberglass? modelling foam with diminishing-diameter spacers between? styrene transition cut to calculations? putty/filler built-up transition?

Just curious. You GO buddy.

Marc

I had a hard time finding a way to print the templates from various programs and finally used an OLD version of Corel Paint. The results were pixelated but it was easy to 'interpolate' the contours by cutting through lines of pixels.

I think the tranisition you mention will be the hardest part. I thought of using a cardstock transition. Then pour in 2-part foam. I probably would need to support the carstock structure with something stronger so the expanding foam doesn't distort (or worse break) it. I'll report back on what I decide.

You gave me some food for thought, I'll just have to think about it. Steve had some great techniques, but I'm not crazy about his approach to the transition.

For what it's worth, I've been experimenting with creating the transition first using one of several "transition calculators" available on the Internet. I transfer this onto a cover-stock (36lb) paper and join the edges on the inside using thin balsa strip and 15-min epoxy. Then fiberglass the outside of that with the lightest glass you can find. I then use Z-poxy finishing resin. The results are good, though it's still preliminary.

I also found a couple of links from the XL-5 Yahoo group that shows a guy who created a "ribbed" framework (for a different rocket) composed essentially of diminishing-outside-diameter centering rings. Like bulkheads. In between each ring he used blocks of 10 lb modeling foam and sanded that by hand to final shape/contour using the bulkhead rings as a guide. That was then covered with auto-body filler putty and then finally sealed with epoxy and finished. It was an interesting approach.

You probably saw it in your surfing travels, but here it is:
https://photos.yahoo.com/bc/snider_...hics/lst?&.dir=/Thunderbird+1&.src=ph&.view=t

Best of luck and please do keep us apprised.

marc

Back