reinforcing a clear payload tube?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidsheeep

Reaction score
My mom brought home a few 3" clear payload bays... WIth alittle sanding these things would fit perfect on the *outside* of a normal 3" tube. The only problem is that they are very flimsy. Would there be any way to reinforce these and still keep the transparency?

Apply 2 or 3 layers of fiberglass/resin. Then spray with transparent paint.:D :D :D

Sorry, I just couldn't help it. I'll go ahead and shoot myself to save you the trouble. :kill:

Would it work to cut another length of clear BT (to fit inside your payload bay), cut a slot lengthwise and remove a narrow slot, curl the slotted BT and slip it inside the main payload tube?
I don't think you would need to glue it, the slotted tube will try to uncurl and will hold itself in place.
Yes, you'll have a slot/cut that 'sort of ' shows on one side, but all the rest should be clear--

What I've done on 2.6" (BT-80) size clear payload tubes is fabricate a core stiffener tube/wireway that becomes part of the shoulder while allowing the nosecone to sit against the upper part of the stiffener tube and/or ring transfering most of the load from the outside plastic to the stiffener center rod or tube. Cover any parts you don't want to see with chrome mylar and they sort of disappear.
Depoending on what you plan on using the bay for you can insert whatever size tube or rod that will make the best use of your payload space.

Another suggestion is a removable payload insert that fits snuggly between the internal shoulder top and the bottom of the Nosecone shoulder. How this insert is fabricated can give you almost endless possiblilties as long as there is a way to secure the insert to both nosecone and transition shoulder.
hope this helps.

Back