RED GLARE XV!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MaxQ, if your going we should try to get in another attempt at a drag race with the Raptors. Hopefully it will not go up in flames like the last time.

Hotel booked, I'll be there all three days. Figuring out how to put side walls on my tent now ...

Dare I say I will have my M powered Minnie Mag ready? Ah f*ck it why not ...

View attachment 153773

It has been done in Rhodesdale back in 2000 or something by Joe May with a 98mm AT 10000Ns motor. :shock:
He put fin tabs on the fins to make it spin stabilize, it went straight as an arrow but at a slight angle.
There was a school about a mile away that heard the sonic boom and then the state police showed up
and they just had to answer some basic questions to reassure them everything was fine.:eek:

-John

Sweet! I'll make the drive over from Baltimore with the offspring and a few of our rockets. :). She loved it in the spring and will be thrilled to go again.

MaxQ, if your going we should try to get in another attempt at a drag race with the Raptors. Hopefully it will not go up in flames like the last time.

Hello Glen....I still had some burn marks on the repaired Raptor airframe until recently...put some primer on it and am deciding what to paint the upper half since I can no longer find that brand of Candy Apple Red in the auto paint section.

Just found out this RG launch weekend conflicts with the Culpeper launch..what to do ....?!?

Planned Flights so far, what are you all planning??

FORMULA 200 - CTI N5600WT 6G 98mm
STINGER 6 - CTI K4000VM - 1G 98mm .5 Second burn time. This is a one off motor, won't be available commercially.

It has been done in Rhodesdale back in 2000 or something by Joe May with a 98mm AT 10000Ns motor. :shock:
-John

Sounds more like a BALLS flight! I'd be very curious to find out how he accommodated his recovery system and how it worked out.

My design is dual deployment and is intended for up to 5G 75mm motors. Static stability is anywhere from 0.5 to +1cal depending on how much ballast I settle on. The main parachute comes out of side compartment and the drogue can be optionally separated to mitigate fouling of the main. Plenty of room for tracking electronics as well. One of the primary goals was to keep the stock appearance of a Minnie Mag.

[video=youtube_share;sgFK1fVf8MU]https://youtu.be/sgFK1fVf8MU[/video]
https://youtu.be/sgFK1fVf8MU

I'll fly it on a smaller motor first to vet the recovery system.

IMAG1502.jpg

Anybody want to test out a 54mm fincan for me?

Free to a good home, but must fly to >M1 at the launch.

It is 3D Printed in one piece from PLA plastic. It is quite strong, and not terribly heavy.

I am relatively certain it will survive, but I make no promises.

IMG_20131118_065156368_HDR.jpgIMG_20131118_065131360_HDR.jpgIMG_20131118_065120345_HDR.jpg

Did I mention it was free?

It is 3D Printed in one piece from PLA plastic. It is quite strong, and not terribly heavy.

View attachment 154402View attachment 154403View attachment 154405

That is without a doubt the coolest thing I have seen in a while! Awesome job.
I bet them fins are aligned with 10000inch?:clap:

Now, if it could be possible to cut(3D print) an entire bottom rocket (and payload and nose cone) as well,
then we could make high performance RTF rockets in a jiff.
I am looking for a bottom part of a rocket complete with the fins cut out on the airframe and using it as a motor casing
with inside snapring groves. Then attach a coupler to a payload with a cut out nose cone and ready to fly.
Can a block of G-10 be used (expensive)?

-John

Andrew,

I think Justin just ordered a Loki 54-4000 :)

What is the melting point of the plastic?

View attachment 154402View attachment 154403View attachment 154405

Looks like registration for Red Glare XV has begun at the MDRA club website !!!

mdrocketry.org

Registered Saturday morning, the Raffle tickets are a great deal!

Me too,,,,
I registered Saturday,,,,,,
40 raffle tix for $20......
Great deal.......
Just praying for the weather now.........

Teddy

That is without a doubt the coolest thing I have seen in a while! Awesome job.
I bet them fins are aligned with 10000inch?:clap:

Now, if it could be possible to cut(3D print) an entire bottom rocket (and payload and nose cone) as well,
then we could make high performance RTF rockets in a jiff.
I am looking for a bottom part of a rocket complete with the fins cut out on the airframe and using it as a motor casing
with inside snapring groves. Then attach a coupler to a payload with a cut out nose cone and ready to fly.
Can a block of G-10 be used (expensive)?

-John

We can only use ABS and PLA thermoplastics. Not high temp or strong enough to be an effective motor casing. The material starts getting soft around 60C and melts above ~130C

I'll have to see about printing some of those MDRA shot glasses this year for the raffle...

We can only use ABS and PLA thermoplastics. Not high temp or strong enough to be an effective motor casing. The material starts getting soft around 60C and melts above ~130C

I'll have to see about printing some of those MDRA shot glasses this year for the raffle...

Maybe shot glasses are a better choice then (filled with some of Tim and Tickle's stuff).:cheers:
I flew a concept 75 just over Mach to 14K twice at MDRA and both times I had a thermocouple
unit hooked up to my RDAS. The wire for the thermocouple was mounted just outside the static
port of the airframe, it showed ground temperature of 70F rising to 170F=77C at Mach...:eyepop:

-John

Maybe shot glasses are a better choice then (filled with some of Tim and Tickle's stuff).:cheers:
I flew a concept 75 just over Mach to 14K twice at MDRA and both times I had a thermocouple
unit hooked up to my RDAS. The wire for the thermocouple was mounted just outside the static
port of the airframe, it showed ground temperature of 70F rising to 170F=77C at Mach...:eyepop:

-John

But how long did it stay there? I can hold a blowtorch to it for a second without any problem, it's just sustained high temperatures that are an issue.

Anyway, that's why it's experimental for now :p

So, for those who are coming, What are you flying?
Me:
LOC Cletus: First Flight I212SS, I297SK
Sam Adams Patriot: First Dual Deploy (for the rocket and me) I345WT (2000ft est), then the I540WT (3000ft est)
The Riddler: H143SS, then maybe the H225WT or I180SK depending on the wind.
Then who knows....... It is 3 days!

So, for those who are coming, What are you flying?

I won't complete anything new by Red Glare so for me it will be mostly the same stuff I flew in November. I will be going for a personal altitude record by flying my purple 29mm minimum diameter with the 15 ft mylar streamer on a G80. It sims at 4457 ft and 846 mph (mach 1.1). If it doesn't shred. It survived going about 600 mph at ESL 186, then Glenn and I walked more than a half mile to recover it.

Man is that cool,,,,,,,,,,,
4400 ft and mach 1.1 on a G80,,,,,,,,
Wow,,,,,,,
It already tolerated 600 MPH,,,,,,,,,,
no reason to think it'll do anything but a perfect flight at 1.1................
I can't wait to see the flight Nathan,,,,,,,,
It's going to be a cool one for sure...........

Teddy

...no reason to think it'll do anything but a perfect flight at 1.1...

I hope so but there is no fiberglass on the fins so I don't know how they will take going mach 1. We'll see. I'm already building another 29mm MD to replace this one, but I probably won't finish painting it in time for Red Glare.

That's funny,,,,,,,
Aw come on Nathan,,,,,,,,,
Your putting a whammy on the flight before it gets off the ground.........
You can't build a replacement rocket yet,,,,,,,,
Yer jinxing it something terrible..........lol,,,lol,,,

Teddy

Teddy is right Nathan, you're putting on the jinx in a serious way. Rockets are like women, you dont want the
current one to think a replacement is 'in the works'....

Also, how about shortening that streamer a bit this time ?
;)

Teddy is right Nathan, you're putting on the jinx in a serious way. Rockets are like women, you dont want the
current one to think a replacement is 'in the works'....

Also, how about shortening that streamer a bit this time ?
;)

Hey,,,,, that's kinda what I was thinkin,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,
But it was more on the lines of a women on a ship,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,

Teddy

Unfortunately I will not be able to make it to red glare this winter.
If you have a pre order with us for delivery at red glare please call us right away so we can arrange another form of delivery.
Thank You

Sith Happens on a K800 Purple will be my big flight
image.jpg

Last edited:
Back