RED GLARE VII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this should be done by ex motors cjl you build your ex and ben do yours :jaw:

At this point, I wouldn't trust my own EX motors. I don't know enough about EX, and I'll freely admit that. I want to learn about it at some point, but for now, I don't have the time or money to be messing with it. I know some people who I would definitely trust though if I wanted to fly it on EX.

I'll happily make the igniters though. I have a good hot igniter mix :eyepop:

Nope on both counts. It's a thermite (it isn't copper or iron based though), so it's only good for larger motors though. I've tried various binders to make it work as a dip, but I couldn't get anything to work properly. For now, it's a standard powdered mix that you need to put into a wrapper of some kind for use as an igniter.

Last edited:
Nope on both counts. It's a thermite (it isn't copper or iron based though), so it's only good for larger motors though. I've tried various binders to make it work as a dip, but I couldn't get anything to work properly. For now, it's a standard powdered mix that you need to put into a wrapper of some kind for use as an igniter.

And what's wrong with normal copper thermite?

And what's wrong with normal copper thermite?

Why does something have to be wrong with copper thermite for me to try something else?

I enjoy experimentation :D

(Besides, my mix is hotter than copper thermite by about 36%)

Last edited:
no binder? sounds explosive...;) haha.

Thermite igniters don't use binders :)

They aren't explosive, but they do burn much faster than standard igniters. My mix will burn in a few tenths of a second as an igniter. Of course, since the rocket is lit in less than that, it's more than enough :)

Back