Recovery sanity check

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotronex

Reaction score
IMG_20240523_150722495_HDR.jpg

Hoping to make sure I'm not making any mistakes on my L2. Rocket is the Wildman 4" Goblin, coming in a few oz under 7lbs dry. Just doing a simple motor deploy on this since I haven't had the time to do DD yet. Chute on the left is the 40" Recon Recovery chute rated for 8lbs, with a 18"x18" Nomex protector. On the right is a OneBadHawk harness. Harness connects to the Y harness inside the airframe with a swivel and quick link. I plan to Z-fold the OBH harness and secure with masking tape before launch.
I've done the wrap through the shroud lines before with success, but never on something this big, would it be better to attach the Nomex to the QL? Any other suggestions?

I use a quick link to attach the blanket to the shock cord too. How far down the shock cord is your chute from the nose cone or is it a coupler. In the picture it looks like it's very close. If it is close I would recommend it be several feet away from the nose cone or break point. I would recommend the blanket is attached below the chute. I attach the blanket about a foot below where the chute is attached. That way the chute is pulled out of the blanket rather than the whole burrito which might get stuck.

Make sure you pin everything.
You're dealing with the same physics as before, just higher numbers, more force..
All sections that are capable of separating will separate when you don't intend them to unless you physically stop them from doing so..
Last weekend I had a wonderful young man fail a level 2 cert flight..
The rocket was set up for dual deploy..
He didn't fly it that way.
He flew simple motor eject single deploy.
I told him he must pin everything..
He didn't..
He chose a hard hittin J load..
On motor burnout deceleration forcers are strong..
The booster strongly decelerated.
Everything above the booster wholeheartedly disagreed with the deceleration at that point as there was much mass in the payload section and little drag..

It takes so much time and effort to build a rocket..

It was a 3" Onebadhawk dual deploy rocket..

It was beautiful..

How many have heard when I hand you a harness of mine I say-
take as good look at that harness..
That's the harness that's going to destroy your rocket if you screw up your flight bad enough..

The harness was a standard 3" airframe booster harness, 1/4" Tubular Kevlar 3 Loop..

The harness is ready for his next 3" build..

Shame..

Teddy

Last edited:
Quick update: Thanks for all the suggestions. I did move the Nomex to the shock cord, and added a shear pin. Unfortunately, between the time it took to get a pad assigned and the next round, a thunderstorm cell had formed and we had to wait. After about 40 minutes of storming the rest of the day's launch was called off.
I guess I'll just have to wait until LDRS.

Quick update: Thanks for all the suggestions. I did move the Nomex to the shock cord, and added a shear pin. Unfortunately, between the time it took to get a pad assigned and the next round, a thunderstorm cell had formed and we had to wait. After about 40 minutes of storming the rest of the day's launch was called off.
I guess I'll just have to wait until LDRS.
Shear pins should be equal around circumference so the coupler doesn't cock at an angle and wedge while moving out of the airframe..
Man, I think the call to scratch when you are not sure it will work, shows wisdom, and restraint.
+1..
It's called "Go Fever"..

Teddy

Latest posts

Back