Recommendations for domain name registration?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Selene

Roving Rocketeer
Reaction score
I am fed up with godaddy. any good companies out there that are also reasonably priced? how about hosting companies?

There's a whole other thread for this that was just started a week or two ago, but I use DreamHost for my sites.

They are safe, easy to use, (and even if I don't have as much visitors as a larger company,) they don't stop you when you have "unlimited" hosting. Getting hundreds of hits a day, they said nothing.

Last edited:
I use GoDaddy for domain registration. Haven't had problems with them, yet.

HostGator and all those "unlimited" hosting companies should be avoided like the plague for retail sites.

-Kevin

Agent Titan said:
Getting hundreds of hits a day, they said nothing.

Ooh. Hundreds...

That's not even large by rocketry site standards. I doubt that a hosting company exists that would trouble you over a mere few hundred hits a day.

I use Dynadot.com for domain names upon recommendation of a fellow rocketeer and have been happy.

I am switching my sites to uhostme.com as soon as my current hosting contract expires in a few months. If the site is specifically rocketry club related, you might get a discount, as it is run by a well known rocketeer.

Sandy.

They are safe, easy to use, (and even if I don't have as much visitors as a larger company,) they don't stop you when you have "unlimited" hosting. Getting hundreds of hits a day, they said nothing.

Hundreds of hits a day is insignificant volume, and you really can't make any determination off of that. Even 100 times that isn't a "high volume" site.

Something to realize is that if I have a page with 10 images on it, just loading that page generates 11 "hits," and if you have a stylesheet, that's a 12th -- a "hit" is basically "one object requested from the server". It doesn't matter if it's an image, a page, a stylesheet, a script file...each one requested is a "hit".

-Kevin

Last edited:
URL="https://www.ixwebhosting.com"]www.ixwebhosting.com[/URL] for, uh... hosting.

Ugh. IX.

When TRF was resurrected by its previous owner, it was hosted on IX. It didn't take long before IX started randomly shutting off the site for "impacting their other customers" or whatever mess of nonsense they stated, and at that time, TRF wasn't seeing the traffic volume it is now.

It's not the only site I know of that they've pulled that with -- like the other "unlimited" sites, they do that.

For a vanity site, an "unlimited" hosting company is fine. But you're in a world of hurt if something every causes a traffic spike, as they'll shut you down pretty quickly.

Not only were they vague in their justifications for shutting down the site (it all comes down to "unlimited" really means "if you exceed a cap we don't tell you about, we'll drive you away"), they also made it much more difficult than it needed to be to get the site moved elsewhere.

-Kevin

I've had to deal with Go Daddy a few times and try to avoid them now. Frankly, they seem as professional as their commercials imply they are.

I use NamesDirect.com/MyDomains.com for domain name registrations. They aren't the cheapest, but I've never had any problems and I've been using them for about six or seven years.

I use SoftLayer (formerly The Planet / EV1) for hosting. They are nowhere near the least expensive. But, they provide the best facilities and excellent support.

-- Roger

Last edited:
Ugh. IX.

When TRF was resurrected by its previous owner, it was hosted on IX. It didn't take long before IX started randomly shutting off the site for "impacting their other customers" or whatever mess of nonsense they stated, and at that time, TRF wasn't seeing the traffic volume it is now.

Not only that, but at the time when TRF was using it there was some sort of hack/virus going round on IX's servers that they either couldn't, or wouldn't, do anything about. It redirected everyone who visited your site from a search engine to pages trying to sell you fake antivirus scareware. It had been going on for months. I don't know if this is still the case now, but it's worth remembering if you're considering hosting with them.

Cheers,
Phil

Hmmm... Have not seen that happen, wasn't set up as shared was it? But then again, may be comparing apples to oranges between TRF and a small to medium sized business with fairly straightforward e-commerce needs. IX was selected primarily because of their overall uptime stats and redundancy which go far beyond what most lower cost hosting companies provide.

Ugh. IX.

It's not the only site I know of that they've pulled that with -- like the other "unlimited" sites, they do that.

For a vanity site, an "unlimited" hosting company is fine. But you're in a world of hurt if something every causes a traffic spike, as they'll shut you down pretty quickly.

Not only were they vague in their justifications for shutting down the site (it all comes down to "unlimited" really means "if you exceed a cap we don't tell you about, we'll drive you away"), they also made it much more difficult than it needed to be to get the site moved elsewhere.

-Kevin

Last edited:
Ooh. Hundreds...

That's not even large by rocketry site standards. I doubt that a hosting company exists that would trouble you over a mere few hundred hits a day.
I know! (I meant views, by the way.)

But, people were saying that they were getting (let me exaggerate) "Cease & Desist" letters from their hosting companies with 10 or 20 views. That's all I was going off of. But, I haven't really gotten into business yet, so it makes sense that I wouldn't have too many views.

My approach has been to pay as little as possible for the domain reg, because it's not a value-added activity. Reg is reg. I still use Go Daddy, as silly as they are, but I would use anyone.

Email and hosting are another matter. I like Blue Host, for technical/server reasons. Not the cheapest, but very well priced and reliable.

--John Beans, Jolly Logic

I've been a fan of luckyregister as a domain registrar for a while. Cheapest you will find, and they have the most extensive web-based DNS management tool I've seen yet.

What exactly will you be hosting? If it's just a build blog, or family stuff, I would get google for domains, and just use google sites. Let's you upload any kind of css/html you want, and it's FREE. Of course, it also comes with free email, free google docs, free video/photo hosting, free calendar etc.. For things like prefects, or clubs, it's almost impossible to beat with the built in gallery's, calendars, newsgroups, rss feeds, etc...

Last edited:
Back