Ready to Jump in the Deep End

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots... but a computer with openrocket to simulate your build as you build it. I think I see 12 min. epoxy, personally I prefer 15 and 30 minute epoxy and rocketpoxy for filets. 30 minute I find is just far easier to work with when doing the couplers; also its useful for apply to the inside of the body tubes and outside of the couplers where they meet to help with wear and tear.

Lots... but a computer with openrocket to simulate your build as you build it. I think I see 12 min. epoxy, personally I prefer 15 and 30 minute epoxy and rocketpoxy for filets. 30 minute I find is just far easier to work with when doing the couplers; also its useful for apply to the inside of the body tubes and outside of the couplers where they meet to help with wear and tear.
Thanks. I have 30-minute epoxy as well. Was planning to use it to fiberglass the fins, but can also use it where I need the extra time.

So please tell me about openrocket. I know of it, but don't understand why I would need it handy as I build.

If you're not going Dual Deploy: Jolly Logic Chute Release!
If you're going Dual Deploy and can build small electronics (or up for it): Eggtimer!

Welcome back! :D
Thanks. Yes, I'm going dual-deploy. Still waiting for the RRC3 to be delivered. The kit comes with the materials to build an ebay.

So please tell me about openrocket. I know of it, but don't understand why I would need it handy as I build.
It is a great simulation program. It is similar to Rocksim in function, but much it is a shareware software, so it is free. Running simulations with various motor combinations is a great idea to estimate altitudes to expect. Having OpenRocket or Rocksim on your computer is almost essential when moving up in high power rocketry, and it is also great for low and mid power. I have every rocket in my fleet modeled in Rocksim, and take printouts of the simualtion results able with me to help choose what motors I want to fly. Thrustcurve is another great tool. there is a feature there to plug in the basic data from your rocket, and then it gives recommended motors and performance estimates. They also have a nice little app for your phone.

Any way you put it, running simulations is highly recommended for L1 and L2 (in my mind, it should be required for L2, but that is just my opinion), and most L3CC or TAPS will want to see simulations for a L3 attempt.

Anything I've missed here?

How long have you been on hiatus?

don't understand why I would need it handy as I build.

To plan your next rocket! Also, to try out changes, try on paint colors, try motors while you're waiting for epoxy to cure or paint to dry. It has nerdy entertainment value.

I weigh components individually while building, it would be too late after they've been attached. That's also useful knowledge for designing future builds. It's even a good place to keep build notes, like this:

1657945018518.png

I second what everyone said about using OpenRocket before, during and after the build.
Apogee is important as well as decent rates. Another is Speed off the Rail.

I’m not familiar with this kit. I see a lot of interesting plywood pieces that I don’t know what they are for. And it looks like maybe 3 motor tubes and 3 sets of centering rings? Can you swap them out for different motor diameters?

Regarding Open Rocket, it is not my usual practice to use it during a build when I am building a kit. If I’m building a scratch built rocket, I use it to predict the size, weight, and stability of the design, but I don’t feel the need to do that for a kit. For kits, I figure that has all been worked out by the kit designer. I usually download a nice, thorough sim file for the kit. I don’t bother weighing each part and overriding mass for each one. I wait until I’ve built the rocket, and I weigh the whole thing and balance it, and then I put in a global mass and CG override for the entire rocket. You need that for accurate flight simulations. Basically Open Rocket has two broad categories of uses — planning a design/build and performing flight simulations. You don’t really need it to plan a kit build, unless you want to. But you should always use it for flight simulations, regardless of whether it is a kit, or scratch built, or a rocket you received already built.

I can’t really tell what kind of recovery gear it comes with. I often upgrade recovery gear for my rockets. If it comes with a flat chute, I buy a replacement with a nice design and spill hole. I like Spherachutes. And I get a kevlar or nomex chute protector and maybe a shock cord protector. Sometimes I upgrade the entire recovery harness too.

If you are doing dual deployment or any kind of electronic deployment, you can start sourcing your ematches and ffffg black powder, which isn’t always easy to find.

Good luck with your build and your cert flight!

Thanks. I have 30-minute epoxy as well. Was planning to use it to fiberglass the fins, but can also use it where I need the extra time.

Depending on your process for laminating fins, you may want an even longer working time than 30 minutes for that. I don’t do it very often, so I don’t have a lot of advice, but I’ve used a laminating epoxy from ACP that must be an hour or more, and the consistency is different from structural epoxy.

I’m not familiar with this kit. I see a lot of interesting plywood pieces that I don’t know what they are for. And it looks like maybe 3 motor tubes and 3 sets of centering rings? Can you swap them out for different motor diameters?

Regarding Open Rocket, it is not my usual practice to use it during a build when I am building a kit. If I’m building a scratch built rocket, I use it to predict the size, weight, and stability of the design, but I don’t feel the need to do that for a kit. For kits, I figure that has all been worked out by the kit designer. I usually download a nice, thorough sim file for the kit. I don’t bother weighing each part and overriding mass for each one. I wait until I’ve built the rocket, and I weigh the whole thing and balance it, and then I put in a global mass and CG override for the entire rocket. You need that for accurate flight simulations. Basically Open Rocket has two broad categories of uses — planning a design/build and performing flight simulations. You don’t really need it to plan a kit build, unless you want to. But you should always use it for flight simulations, regardless of whether it is a kit, or scratch built, or a rocket you received already built.

I can’t really tell what kind of recovery gear it comes with. I often upgrade recovery gear for my rockets. If it comes with a flat chute, I buy a replacement with a nice design and spill hole. I like Spherachutes. And I get a kevlar or nomex chute protector and maybe a shock cord protector. Sometimes I upgrade the entire recovery harness too.

If you are doing dual deployment or any kind of electronic deployment, you can start sourcing your ematches and ffffg black powder, which isn’t always easy to find.

Good luck with your build and your cert flight!
This 4" Fusion kit is made (and sold) by Scott Binder Rocketry (https://www.fusionrocket.biz/). Scott's been around forever and has great videos on constructing his kits. It came with nomex chute and shock cord protectors. The chutes look like they will do the job, but I'll probably upgrade sometime later with a nicer design. I've got ematches on order from Chris' Rocket Supplies, but haven't been received yet. I need to start looking for black powder.

Thanks for your advice.

Depending on your process for laminating fins, you may want an even longer working time than 30 minutes for that. I don’t do it very often, so I don’t have a lot of advice, but I’ve used a laminating epoxy from ACP that must be an hour or more, and the consistency is different from structural epoxy.
I ordered the epoxy from US Composites (http://www.uscomposites.com/). I saw that someone else on this forum had had good luck with them. They have multiple varieties of epoxy for different applications. They recommended the 30-minute epoxy that I ordered for laminating the fins. Thanks.

Back