Quick Question on RMS Delay Drilling Tool

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhysicsGuy

Reaction score
I think this was answered before, but I was unable to find it with a search.

The instructions with the RMS Delay Drilling Tool say the drill bit must be flush with the end of the tool. Is this with the 1/16 inch washer in place or without?

Thanks.
--MARK

Without the washer.

If the bit is not flush, place the housing with bit flat on a table, loosen the set screw on handle and either the bit will drop to contact the table top or the handle/knob will drop down fully in top of the housing/gauge. Re-tighten set screw.

F52113C6-D595-407F-9AEF-5CC3D0C16453.jpeg Apogee has a good video of using an RMS delay tool. The washer is for a 2 second adjustment if you are using the delay on four second side for example and left the washer on the on eight second side with tool drill bit. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong. I just drilled about 4 s off a delay today without using the washer. I wanted to take a 14s delay and make a 10s delay. I put the partial hole I made on delay down towards fuel grain on assembly of an H130W-14 trimmed to -10 today.

Here was the video.

Without the washer.

If the bit is not flush, place the housing with bit flat on a table, loosen the set screw on handle and either the bit will drop to contact the table top or the handle/knob will drop down fully in top of the housing/gauge. Re-tighten set screw.

Thanks. I hardly ever have to adjust this thing, but mine seemed like it was a little bit off recently. Couldn't remember if the washer should be there or not. When I adjust mine, I normally set one end of the tool on a piece of glass and then loosen the screw as you mention. Much appreciated.

View attachment 362031 Apogee has a good video of using an RMS delay tool. The washer is for a 2 second adjustment if you are using the delay on four second side for example and left the washer on the on eight second side with tool drill bit. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong. I just drilled about 4 s off a delay today without using the washer. I wanted to take a 14s delay and make a 10s delay. I put the partial hole I made on delay down towards fuel grain on assembly of an H130W-14 trimmed to -10 today.

Here was the video.

Andrew, Your description matches my use of the tool. If you want to remove four seconds, you place the delay in the "-4" end of the tool and drill from the other end. Add the washer if you only want to remove 2 seconds.

Thanks.
--MARK
NAR 65148, L1

Back