Question about 2 stages

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocket_Man

Reaction score
I have lauched 2 stage rockets by using a 1 stage rocket and taping boost engine to main. I have a vid of doing it and have never had a problem. Question is iam going to a launch meet and was wondering if they will freak out when I tape a D12 booster to a E9 &shove the whole thing in my single stage rocket. Will they let me launch it?

I have lauched 2 stage rockets by using a 1 stage rocket and taping boost engine to main. I have a vid of doing it and have never had a problem. Question is iam going to a launch meet and was wondering if they will freak out when I tape a D12 booster to a E9 &shove the whole thing in my single stage rocket. Will they let me launch it?

It's called chad staging and it depends on the rocket and on the RSO. It will shift your cg rearward so it's not a good idea on a minimum fin area rocket.If you can convince the RSO that the CG/CP is still safe they might allow it - ask ahead of time

You might also take with you a printout from Rocksim, VCP, Open Rocket, etc. prooving where the center of pressure is, with the motor sticking out the back, and mark it on your rocket. If I were RSO'ing, I would feel more comfortable knowing that YOU know where it is, rather than relying on 'my best guess', which you might not like, and may or may not be correct. Then, the center of gravity is a simple balancing act on your finger. At least one body tube diameter ahead of the CP.....right?

Hope this helps,
Good luck, Gary
SEARS572

Latest posts

Back