Quest Super C

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the new Quest Super C motors?

They sound like they would be just the ticket for a current project, a 12x18 cluster.

I'm curious if these supercede their other Cs and if there is a differentiation in the markings. I would not want to get them mixed with a shorter burn time.

Does anyone have any experience with the new Quest Super C motors?

They sound like they would be just the ticket for a current project, a 12x18 cluster.

I'm curious if these supercede their other Cs and if there is a differentiation in the markings. I would not want to get them mixed with a shorter burn time.

They're labeled as being made in China.

Read the bottom of the first page:
https://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/Quest/C6_cn.pdf

The data sheets for the other C's are here:

https://www.nar.org/SandT/NARenglist.shtml

I don't know what qualifies as "super" but, they don't have the same punch off the pad as the Estes C. However, they have a much longer burn time. If you have a medium to heavy(relative to the motor size), or draggy model, or a model with marginal stability, I don't recommend them. They may work very well in a clusters(never tried), and for standard 3 and 4 FNC type designs, but overall, I prefer the Estes C6.

For a cluster they would be outstanding! I love the long burn and the C6-3s are perfect for my BT-80 Mach 10.:D

I purchased a few bulk packs recently... (it's for the children :p) of Quest made in China C6-5, and A6-4 Love them. Both motors.
(yes.. that's right ...there is something made in China that I like)

C's have a noticeably loger burn. Also a different sound ... they sort of crackle. Very noticable difference if you are at a lunch and everyone else has Estes motors. The -5- delay is definately 5 seconds. Next I need pick up some -3 delays
For Clusters (like a certain kit I know) They ROCK.

Next test for me is to mix Estes and Quest in a cluster if the weather is right on Saturday. "E"C6-0 and "Q" C6-5's See how that goes. I think the loger burn may be nice.

The A's are similar to Estes A8 but you get a bit more delay (sometimes thats good). Performance seems very similar to my naked eye. Maybe they take just a tiny bit longer to get up to full steam.
Terrific motor for ball-field, school rockets.

One note: bring a tool to peel off the paper labels. Many times you will have to remove the label to get the motor in the rocket. Not always.
I use a metal pick (autoparts store). Not very sharp you just need to get under the label then they peel off easy.

Also the Quest ignitors are nice. Long leads, easy hook-up in clusters. I just toss the red plastic straw they are packed in and use tape to secure to motor.

Best part: More motor choices. More options. By makeing thier motors slightly different Quest's C6 becomes a "must have in the range box" item.

Good work Quest!

For a cluster they would be outstanding! I love the long burn and the C6-3s are perfect for my BT-80 Mach 10.:D

I forgot to mention RG/BG too.;) They are a nice change of pace, and provide an option that wasn't there previously. That's always a good thing. I only wish I hadn't chosen to test them on a design that was marginally stable to begin with.

I purchased a few bulk packs recently... (it's for the children :p) of Quest made in China C6-5, and A6-4 Love them. Both motors.
(yes.. that's right ...there is something made in China that I like)

C's have a noticeably loger burn. Also a different sound ... they sort of crackle. Very noticable difference if you are at a lunch and everyone else has Estes motors. The -5- delay is definately 5 seconds. Next I need pick up some -3 delays
For Clusters (like a certain kit I know) They ROCK.

Next test for me is to mix Estes and Quest in a cluster if the weather is right on Saturday. "E"C6-0 and "Q" C6-5's See how that goes. I think the loger burn may be nice.

The A's are similar to Estes A8 but you get a bit more delay (sometimes thats good). Performance seems very similar to my naked eye. Maybe they take just a tiny bit longer to get up to full steam.
Terrific motor for ball-field, school rockets.

One note: bring a tool to peel off the paper labels. Many times you will have to remove the label to get the motor in the rocket. Not always.
I use a metal pick (autoparts store). Not very sharp you just need to get under the label then they peel off easy.

Also the Quest ignitors are nice. Long leads, easy hook-up in clusters. I just toss the red plastic straw they are packed in and use tape to secure to motor.

Best part: More motor choices. More options. By makeing thier motors slightly different Quest's C6 becomes a "must have in the range box" item.

Good work Quest!

Thanks for the info. When I saw the add, I started to think immediately about the big cluster I'm working on.

Its strange about the labels. I use A6-4s fairly often. On those, they seem to always be below 18mm and I have to use some tape to make the fit better.

Does the label on the motor distinguish it in any way from the regular Quest Cs? I wouldn't want them to get mixed up in the range box.

The labels are different. Plus the new C's say "made in China" on them.
Like HotRod mentioned, I've had to peel the labels off to get them to fit(in a Quest mount).

A comparison of the original Centuri/Estes "Super" C and this new Quest C reveals the following:
Super C Quest C

Peak thrust 21-22 16 (both rounded)
Avg Thrust 4.76 3.45
Burn time 2.1 2.45

terry dean

Thanks to all for the info. I think I'll be ordering a healthy supply to test out the franken-rocket in the works.

The German motor tubes are well below BT-20 inside tube thickness. With the thin smooth label added they are still below and require masking tape for a good fit.

The Chinese motor tubes are virtually the same as the inside diamter of a BT-20 tube, and then the rough thick white paper label is glued to the outside and they will not fit well. I was able to cram one in but I would be very worried about tearing the tube. If you peel off the rough white label, the motor will more readily fit inside a BT-20.

Ditto for the Quest motor mount tube (is that T-19?).

The German motor tubes are well below BT-20 inside tube thickness. With the thin smooth label added they are still below and require masking tape for a good fit.

The Chinese motor tubes are virtually the same as the inside diamter of a BT-20 tube, and then the rough thick white paper label is glued to the outside and they will not fit well. I was able to cram one in but I would be very worried about tearing the tube. If you peel off the rough white label, the motor will more readily fit inside a BT-20.

Thanks for the information. I guess all of my Quest motors are of the German stock; a bunch of A6-4s and some B6-0s.

So BT-30 might work better as a motor tube for these motors? It has an ID of 0.725" versus the BT-20's ID of 0.710". It also has a heavier wall, though, but that might not be a bad thing. Semroc's ST-7 has an ID of 0.715", but I'm wondering if that extra five-thousands of an inch is enough to make a difference. (I haven't tried these motors yet.)

Mark \\.

So BT-30 might work better as a motor tube for these motors? It has an ID of 0.725" versus the BT-20's ID of 0.710". It also has a heavier wall, though, but that might not be a bad thing. Semroc's ST-7 has an ID of 0.715", but I'm wondering if that extra five-thousands of an inch is enough to make a difference. (I haven't tried these motors yet.)

Mark \\.

Its too late for me, I think. The Sandman is already machining my special order stuff for BT20. Its good to know, though. Thanks. I hadn't thought of that.

A comparison of the original Centuri/Estes "Super" C and this new Quest C reveals the following:
Super C Quest C

Peak thrust 21-22 16 (both rounded)
Avg Thrust 4.76 3.45
Burn time 2.1 2.45

terry dean

Attractive! Especially for light weight models, including gliders.

KK

Mark \\.

Good point Mark. If I were designing a model or glider around this motor, it would be something to consider. It's no big deal to pull off the wrapper, but I'm wondering if they should have even bothered making labels. I'm sure it's a regulatory thing in order to sell them in the USA, providing a slate for all the required info. With the Quest mounts being smaller than average and the motors now bigger, it does present a problem. I mean, ideally, you want your motors to fit your kit product, straight out of the package. But, we'll make do for now.;)

The Estes C6-3 is already my favorite motor in the Art Applewhite Hornet monocopter. The longer gentler thrust of the Quest Super-C looks like it would be even better.

None of the local dealers carry Quest products any more. Where can I get some?

Back