quest altimeter?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Howie

Reaction score
Has anyone used the new Quest altimeter? I've just purchased one, and the
instructions state to use 1/16 in holes in the payload section. These seem
awfully small to me.:confused2:

It depends on the volume of the bay in which you place the altimeter.

What do they tell you about the number of holes? Or is it just a generalization?

-Kevin

The altimeter fits into a BT50 tube, so that's the dia. I'm using. Nowhere in the
instructions is there a volume limit mentioned. The vent holes suggested are
3 1/16 in. holes. Larger vents are discouraged, because air flow, over and
through the vents can give a false reading. I'm going to put it in a Quest
Zenith II.

That sounds consistent with other altimeters I've used (Pico, Perfectflite). If anything, 2 holes would probably do it.

I ran an experiment today using the QuEST How High altimeter that I thought might be of interest to the group....

The how-high is SUPPOSED to be used inside of a payload bay - away from the hot gasses and high pressure of the ejection charge... but, since I wanted to see if it would work... and because the thing is only $45... I decided to break the rules and put it into the main tube of a rocket.

I used the "4 Square" which is a new square tube rocket from Newway Space models. The tube is 1.375" x 1.375" and is basically a 4FNC rocket - except that it uses square tubes and square tube-fins. It EASILY fits the How High Altimeter. For this experiment, I attached the altimeter to the nosecone and wrapped the altimeter first in a sheet of wadding and then wrapped the wadding in a sheet of aluminum foil. I pushed wadding into the body, then the parachute, then the shockcord and then the aluminum foil wrapped altimeter. I flew this rocket on a B6-4. WRASP simulation predicted 197 ft using a drag coeff of 0.9 and a body "diameter" of 1.66". After the launch the How High blinked out 1-9-4 feet.... (and my eyeball said "around 200'").

I'll need to run more experiments and see if I might be abusing / overpressuring the altimeter or otherwise damaging it... but I doubt it saw much (any) heat working this way. I didn't make any holes in the tube - basically, I didn't care what it was measuring during the ride up, my theory was that it would pop-out at apogee, take a low pressure reading and then it would compare this to the pressure it recorded when I power cycled it on the ground to see the readout blinks. The worst abuse (I think) is that the altimieter likely sees a pretty good pressure pulse at ejection - don't know if that will be a problem or not....

What do you guys think?

(I'll make a seperate posting about the WRASP simulations vs measurements and assumptions under a heading about predictions for square rockets where I will explain how I got the 0.9 and 1.66" guestimates)

dcp_5997.jpg

dcp_5998.jpg

dcp_5999.jpg

Last edited:
Back