Pull Pins Outlawed!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. It's more important to ensure that the recovery system deploys during the flight.

I think, though, it is important to keep people away from the rocket as the electronics are turned on. I often see people (including kids) who aren't directly involved hanging around while we are setting up our rockets. I think we need to be careful and do more about controlling that.

I had the ejection charges go off on the pad when I was setting up a 12-foot rocket. As I disconnected the altimeter after it beeped out the wrong number of connections, the main charge fired and the nosecone shot a few feet in the air. It fell between the two people helping me set up the rocket. It had a couple of pounds of weight in it, so it could have caused a serious injury if it had hit them or me. A second later, the apogee charge blew separating the main part of the rocket and covering me with black soot. I was standing atop a six-foot ladder while all this happened. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

Now, I ask everyone else to step away as I arm the altimeter.

-- Roger

No doubt. This is a key point. You need good range security /safety.

Was that last month at LDRS? Sounds eerily familiar to the Pad next to mine...

I agree. It's more important to ensure that the recovery system deploys during the flight.

I think, though, it is important to keep people away from the rocket as the electronics are turned on. I often see people (including kids) who aren't directly involved hanging around while we are setting up our rockets. I think we need to be careful and do more about controlling that.

I had the ejection charges go off on the pad when I was setting up a 12-foot rocket. As I disconnected the altimeter after it beeped out the wrong number of connections, the main charge fired and the nosecone shot a few feet in the air. It fell between the two people helping me set up the rocket. It had a couple of pounds of weight in it, so it could have caused a serious injury if it had hit them or me. A second later, the apogee charge blew separating the main part of the rocket and covering me with black soot. I was standing atop a six-foot ladder while all this happened. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

Now, I ask everyone else to step away as I arm the altimeter.

-- Roger

Well, I'm glad this bit of madness has been resolved. Never trusted mercury switches anyway! Kudos and generous thanks to those who howled, screamed, cajoled, whined wimpered, moaned, begged and/or pleaded, expounded lustily, questioned incredulously, or gave grievous thought and considered oratory support to our respected board members to help with our cause. TRF=Totally Reasonable Fanaticism!!!

I have an idea. Why don't we start a new thread to show the alternative with strengths and weaknesses to options that are still "legal"?

NAhhh-sounds too scientific! Besides it would take away research effort from my new Coke and Mentos staging timer, the "Fizz an' Fly".......I'll be listing the kit here first!

Did you ever find out the cause for the early deployment?

It was one of those cases where it took multiple little problems to cause the big problem. The altimeter had a bad pressure sensor and there was something wrong in its firmware.

Since then, I also test altimeters before I use them and periodically after that. I use a simple vacuum chamber based on the one in the article at:

https://www.2020vertical.com/nar_edu_cd_dev/lessons/alt_chamber.doc

-- Roger

Back