Project: GrimGrin - my first scratch built

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyDSlagle

Reaction score
Well folks. Here is my first scratch built. GrimGrin. I had it over under Beginner and Educational Programs some time back getting some advice on it. I finally got the parts to work on it and the weather to paint it.

My first go with it I was trying to make it use the C6 class engines. After two crashes and some advice from the good folks here, I scratched that idea and went with the bigger engines. It was way too heavy. I took ideas from my Big Daddy on building the motor mount tube so that it could use the short stubby C11's and D12's and also use the longer E engines. I removed the lower tail section and went back with the revamped motor mounts, slightly larger fins and 3 more inches on the lower section.

It's designed to break apart at the lower transition, I wish I would have redesigned it to break about higher up. I intended to leave the upper section loose at the top transition so I could do just that but ended up gluing all that together. On its lawn dart test flight, it deployed successfully, although the nose was 3 inches in the ground.

Length: 31.4 inches
Diameter: 2.04 inches
Dry Weight: 6.2 ounces
Recovery: dual 12 inch nylon parachutes from RocketChutes
Semroc ejection baffle

I know the pictures aren't the best, I was trying to keep em small. (yes the sections are sitting on legos)

View attachment 161756

View attachment 161752 View attachment 161753 View attachment 161754 View attachment 161755

It's painted with Cobalt Blue craft paint from Wal-Mart and black Krylon. I still have to print out the decals or stickers for it, do a little touch up on the paint and get good weather to gloss and polish him up. It snowed twice in one week here, the first snow was at least 3 inches! I am in central Louisiana. HA. It's been bad windy, wet or frozen here and I have been just building. I paint when I get a good day. My fleet is growing but only two have been launched....successfully.

Will update when all is completed.

Mike

Very nice!! By the way, Wait till you see the weather headed your way this week---YIKES !!

Thanks guys.
Yeah we are actually having a winter this year. I have to go in 2 hours late just in case they decide to cancel our work day. Raining and nasty out now. Ho hum.

Back