Printer Ink Refilling

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11bravo

Reaction score
Anyone tried it?
How'd it go?
Here's my stich-
HP DJ932c
Used Ink Station black refill kit.
Followed the directions; probably where I went wrong, that and not using duct tape.
Got done, directions said to sit it upright for 5 minutes or so before reinstalling in the printer.
Set it up, left, came back to it, and there's a puddle of ink around it.
Thinking that's not right.
Figure things not good here, so go ahead and wipe off the contacts; more ink comes out.
Should ink be coming out?
Ink shouldn't be coming out, should it.
Not reinstalling unless you guys tell me that it's most likely OK based on your passed experiences.
Thanks,

Greg

My experiences with refill kits haven't been positive. The colors weren't the same, bleed over, blotching, etc. I know what they claim, but in my experience it just wasn't worth it.

I personally know three people that had bad experiences with refills, and one who ruined their printer!

I have an HP952C and I have used refurbished? cartridges from PrintPal.com but haven't done my own refills. Good experiences w/ black, bad w/ their color. So I get my black from them and my color is HP brand from Wally World.

bmhiii

Get a printer with cheaper ink. HPs have heads built into the cartridges, which makes ink very expensive. Get one that uses ink tanks, like this one (I think it is similar to the Canon i860 that I have.) https://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=117&modelid=10239
It uses 5 inks, but the black one is larger and the pigment black is only used for photos.

Actually I think any of Canon's printers use ink tanks (not cartridges, but similar). They all use separate tanks for each color too.

It would probably be very easy to refill them (I haven't tried) because they are clear and you can see exactly how much ink there is.

You shouldn't put the leaking cartridge in your printer.

I sell Inkjet Carts at work, and also sell compatables for most makes, but I do not sell the refill kits as customers have had nightmares with them in the past. Some people seem to naturally have the knack to refill their carts, but most people (myself included) just make a gurt big mess. One of the main probs is that the manufacturers take steps to make it as hard as possible for you to refill the cartridge; after all they want you to buy a new one at their greatly inflated price.

The advise I tend to give to my customers is this (I only sell the consumables, not the printers btw):

Buy a printer which takes separate carts for each colour, and does not have the head integrated to the cart.

Printing stuff off the web, general household stuff: Try compatables; not everybody likes them, but at a fraction of the price of the real things, worth a try.

Printing photos/professional work: Bite the bullet and buy the real things.

Printing lots of just black, only replacing the colour carts when they dry up from non-use: Buy a cheap laser printer. The toner cart may cost alot, but it will print 1,000s of letters/invioces/etc as opposed to only a few hundred like the inkjet.

As for your cartridge leaking, may not be good to use. Not all refills will work. Since you didn't put the tape on, the unit is ruined as the tape covers the air hole which creates a small vacuum in the ink tank, preventing all the ink from leaking.

Doing refills on inkjet and laser printers are worth the trouble only if you do a lot of printing. If you do a lot of printing, you do have a number of choices.

First, you can buy some private brand refills. Second, learn how to refill the cartridges. You can go to a laser printer if you do a lot of black. Print only what you need on a page ( in IE, highlight the text, file - print and check off selection ). You can also get others to refill the cartridges for you and not make a mess.

And of course, print less. Review on screen instead printing.

The most important point ot remember is to check the prices of the cartridges before buying. There is a difference. And while doing so, make sure the cartridge is refillable. Some new ones are not or not yet supported.

I did put the tape on.
And the little ball bearing in.
I followed the directions step by step.
"Hemorrhaging" (good word headhunter) cartridge has gone the way of the parrott.
It is no more; it is an ex-cartridge.
Picked up a Staples brand replacement.
I like the HP printer and will stick with it.
I do have an old Canon in a box in the basement; it's one that the color tank can be replaced with a black tank for mostly printing black.
Have thought about doing that, but this basement is right out of Transylvania and I'm skeered.:eek: :p
Canon makes great products, but back when I was doing tech stuff, their customer service was so bad I started recommending against them.
Haven't needed service with HP.

Greg

I just had a bad experience with my printer/paper/ink/software. I tried to print something and the people came out red, like they had a rash. I fixed that (there was a bad setting in Photoshop), then things were coming out streaky, so I cleaned and aligned the nozzles, but still streaky, so I tried different paper and now prints are too dark. So now I need to get new paper. Lesson: Don't use all-in-one paper for inkjets. Use Inkjet paper.

Does anyone have a brand of paper they recommend. HP All-in-one paper was the problem, but I've used HP inkjet paper and its OK. Is there a better brand?

Also, NEVER buy Office max brand photo paper. It is terrible. It is all curved and a few months under some phone books didn't help much. The edges are rough and have bits of paper on them. When I print anything, it stays sticky for a long time and never looks good. Canon professional photo paper is the best (for canon printers). It is very expensive, but digital prints look as good as regular film prints.
Also don't buy Office max brand lined notebook paper. It is thin and the holes are weak. I had to buy a few boxes of hole reinforcements.

I just use the Georgia-Pacific brand from K-Mart; 84 brightness, 20#.
I do have some 90-something brightness, 24# for stuff that I want to look good.
But then I also use the "Best" quality setting in the printer, otherwise I use "Normal" or even "Draft" to conserve ink.
Then again, I'm not too picky about what I print usually and have more pictures in my wallet than I've printed.

Greg

reciently Canon has come from behind and knocked the wind out of HP and Lexmark.

the printers are great .. each ink tank is $7-9..
and produces very sharp images..I just got the pixma 6000 it has 6 ink tanks.... some have 8! it actualy looks at the ink level rather than estimating usage and they are full of ink and half foam.So they last an incredably long time.

the head pops out so if it clogs beyond repair you can simply snap in a new head.

highly recomended

not shure if this'l help at all but,
i use a free download from )ssc
it replaces the printers own software (epson c-70+)and enables me to refill the ink,
my printer has those chip things on the carts and up to now wouldn't allow me to refill or remove and replace the ink ect,
although it only costs £6 per cart (4 to buy) it gives me a great feeling of saticfaction that im getting one over the manufactures :D
JJ..(JJ-UK)

Back