Priming process

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carson

Reaction score
After some trial and error, I think I've came up with a process that seems to work well for me.
What do you think.
Number one, I'll never use Krylon primer again.
Duplicolor goes on smoother, dries faster, sands easier and does not gum up my paper.
First it's fill the spirals and fillets.
Spray a light coat of dark gray sandable duplicolor, not looking for any build.
Then a coat of high build brown duplicolor, for alittle build but not much.(just alittle cusion)
Then a heavy coat of Kilz.(like you have any choice with that stuff).
Then fog it with the dark gray again.
All the colors are for a guide.
Sand with a soft block till the top fog coat is gone and you see white then brown.
If you start seaing the original dark gray, stop or you'll hit the paper .
With the color layering, you know exactly were you are.
At that piont I am seeing about halph white and half brown.(no dark gray, hopefully.)
From here you will have some, not exactly round spot on the tube but it will be straight.
Then I hit it with another light coat of high build brown and another fog of dark gary for a guide.
Hand sand with 400 and try not to go through the last coat, just remove your fog coat and Valla.
It seems like alot of primer but most gets sanded off and it will easilly fill most imperfections.
Is it over kill?
Maybe but it made me a really smooth prime job.:D

Originally posted by Carson
Is it over kill?

I guess it depends on your point of view.

For some people, that is way too much effort.

For others, it's just a good starting point. ;)

Originally posted by BobH48
I guess it depends on your point of view.

For some people, that is way too much effort.

For others, it's just a good starting point. ;)

Yeah, it's a great technique and well worth passing along. But I'm all for the paint doing the technique as much as possible.

Spackle in the spirals, sanding sealer everywhere, primer, appliance epoxy, color. Sanding only after the spackle (course) and sealer (very fine). Appliance epoxy fills anything the spackle and sealer misses. Satin coat does almost as well as a filler is a lot lighter, but the appliance paint is so darn scuff resistant and holds stuff together like glue. If it needs more gloss, there's always Future.

Sure I'm lazy. But it's *constructively* lazy.

Yeah, my wife doesn't buy that either.

krylon had a great sandable primer , but they have discontinued it
the primer they sell now is terrible,

I also changed to Duplicolor

Nice. I like the idea of alternating colors. I use Plasti-Kote Filler Primer, but now I will get some red (brown) and gray and alternate.

Thanks,
Nick

Sounds like a good plan carson. Think I'll try
that method on my next rocket. On my last project
I used Krylon primer and went through a ton of
sandpaper, trying to get rid of spirals. What a mess.

I found that even krylon paint sands better than Krylon primer.
You can do alot on sanding on Duplicolor primer with one peice of paper.
Wet sanding. I use thin CA glue around the inside ends of to tube so that if it gets water on it, it will not soak in and soften tube.
Besides , after the CA soaks in, it makes for really strong ends.

Back