Pratt Go-Box — maximum battery amperage?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My Go-Box ignition system has outlasted my jump battery. So I am going to get another 12 volt jump battery. They are all 12 volt, but come with difference milliamps. I figured higher is better, but is there a maximum that seceding will burn out the system?

The Go-box is rated to use 12V car batteries... you should be fine with any of the jump batteries I would think. Igniter resistance will limit the current and not long after they will burn out and open the circuit.

The Go-box is rated to use 12V car batteries... you should be fine with any of the jump batteries I would think. Igniter resistance will limit the current and not long after they will burn out and open the circuit.
I have used them with a 6-12V and 7-12 amp without any issues.

Your launch controller (as long as it's working properly) will take as much current/voltage as it needs and as much current as the battery can provide. So if it only need 12 volts, 0.5 amp for a given launch, the battery isn't going to automatically deliver "everything it's got."

Mr. Pratt was kind enough to get back to me and said 2000 milliamperes was 2 amps and would work fine. Appreciate the help.
I don't think any jump battery measures its current delivery in milliamps. Are you talking about cranking power (usually specified in amps) or energy capacity (usually specified in milliamp-hours)?

Any of these batteries will have *more* than enough capability of lighting any igniter(s).

I don't think any jump battery measures its current delivery in milliamps. Are you talking about cranking power (usually specified in amps) or energy capacity (usually specified in milliamp-hours)?

Any of these batteries will have *more* than enough capability of lighting any igniter(s).
I was looking at this one

BIUBLE Car Battery Starter, 1000A Peak 12800mAh 12V Car Auto Jump Starter Power Pack with USB Quick Charge 3.0 (Up to 7L Gas or 5.5L Diesel Engine)​

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GYFP5JK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A37HJ6IZERTGD6&psc=1
had no doubt they would provide enough juice, concern was it might be too much for the Pratt Go-Box.

I was looking at this one

BIUBLE Car Battery Starter, 1000A Peak 12800mAh 12V Car Auto Jump Starter Power Pack with USB Quick Charge 3.0 (Up to 7L Gas or 5.5L Diesel Engine)​

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GYFP5JK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A37HJ6IZERTGD6&psc=1
had no doubt they would provide enough juice, concern was it might be too much for the Pratt Go-Box.
I decided to order the same combo. If I get to try it out before you do, I'll let you know the results. I should get the chance on December 10th.

When I'm building a launch box, I keep in mind the differences between a launch box and a detonator.
It's not a lot. The important thing for launch boxes is: NO Capacitors. The other is 12V Max.
If you blow the bridgewire hard enough with a 12V battery, it will det a black powder motor. (never tried composite, and that box got a current limit resistor quickly, lol.

Back