Eggtimer Battery Sources...HELP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAllen

Reaction score
So I forgot to order a 1s battery to go with my Apogee kit. I have the 3d printed mount and I want to get a 1s battery with the right connector and 300 mha or more that will fit in that mount. Trouble is, I'd like to get one in time for NSL next weekend. Anyone know a source that will ship it fast enough? I have ONE 1s battery on hand that works but I want to use that for another alt and I really really DO NOT want to be switching that battery between alts in the field. Ideas?

This has to be hands down the most aggravating thing about dealing with Eggtimer is the myriad of LiPo varieties there are out in the wild. Maybe I am too stupid to find what I need. HELP

I have no inexpensive solutions for you, but I sympathize with your lament. You just can't go to CVS and buy a LiPo battery for your rocket altimeter...

At this point I’m not real worried about $$. Just solutions
I think LiPos require ground shipping, so receiving it next week before NSL will be iffy. I'd say plan to acquire one at NSL from a fellow flyer/vendor and finish your Apogee build in the hotel room. :dontknow:

Your best bet is to try a local hobby shop, any 1S Lipo will work but you may have to fudge around with the connectors. If it's a JST-PH connector, make sure that the polarity is correct... some of the R/C batteries are reversed from the SparkFun/Adafruit batteries that we ship.

You're not going to be able to get one shipped to you "fast", LiPo batteries MUST go via ground transport by shipping regulations. We don't ship them outside the continental 48 states... we can't ship them internationally, and the one time that I tried to ship one to Hawaii the package was returned back to me from the depot.

Those are kinda interesting... I like the USB-C jack built into them. I'd be concerned about whether or not they'd come apart internally during a flight, however. Lipo's don't have that problem... the tabs are part of the construction and the wires are typically spot-welded to them.
I kinda wanted to see what others had to say besides I got them. I'm just getting into DD myself, and I picked up these 9v battery holders. I thought why not try these over buying new everytime as I'm not flying enough DD to really need more than that and not sure of I want to get any LiPo's yet. If you search Amazon they have a bunch of different brands I just pink would be noticeable or whatever.

Yeah that was my concern too that it could or would take damage during a flight. I may try them, I was just thinking I'll keep buying new batteries why not save the hassle of these will work. But I found these by mistake while looking at 9v stuff I had no clue they made them. Anyways, I may give it a shot. If anything I can use one disposable 9v and one of these to make sure they don't fail. They have them listed for use for a bunch of stuff. Thanks for the reply,

Michael B.

How would an Eggtimer work with a cr123a and it's requisite battery holder? Those are readily available at most hardware stores (and CVS even).

Most of our products require at least 5V to operate, so a CR123A won't do. The Eggtimer Classic was designed to use a CR123A (optionally), I flew some early on but they're big and heavy compared to a Lipo. Note that although the battery is easy to find, not quite so for the holder... you'll need to get it from a distributor like Mouser or DigiKey.

I generally fly my av-bays with 9V batteries. I now use the PKCell or Amazon Basics because they still use the welded tabs on AAAA cells instead of the stacked cells like Duracell went to. The welded AAAA cells will source about twice as much as the stacked cells when you need to fire ematches. I have found that with cells that read 9.3V at the start, the battery life will be about 3 years (21 flights) before they get below 9.0V using ematches. They will probably work just fine down to about 8V, but I never push them that far.
If you are running Eggtimer with WiFi or other high draw accessories, that battery life can drop to hours, or the battery can be insufficient to operate the altimeter with those accessories

It’s relatively simple to change the polarity of the connectors by just swapping the two terminals on the connector itself. The crimp on terminals are held into the connector body by a plastic tab on the connector. All you need to do is pry up the tab a tiny bit, pull the lead out, do the same with the other lead, then reinsert the leads on opposite sides. The photo sequence below shows the process. I just use the tip of a pair of tweezers to lift the tab. You need to be careful to not short the leads during the process. IMG_9255.jpegIMG_9256.jpegIMG_9257.jpegIMG_9258.jpegIMG_9259.jpeg

Last edited:
Back