Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the difference between initial half-life and terminal half-life? What is terminal half-life? Since "half-life", in every context of which I'm aware, is the time for a thing being measured to decrease by half, so it is inherently not terminal.
Ok, recall that I said that the info was for pharmacologists... But here goes.

;tldr version: the drug gets absorbed by the tissues and leaks out more slowly than the clearance rate from the blood.

If you plot blood concentration of a drug vs time using a semilog plot (log of concentration vs linear time) you often observe a linear increase, then the concentration maxes out and the data decrease linearly. If this happens you can make the argument that the increase shows that the drug was absorbed due to mass action (there's a half life in the gut) and then the drug clears out due to mass action (there's a half life in the blood). Mass action is:

rate of drug clearance (in gut or blood) = ln(2)/(half life) * mass of drug (in gut or blood)

This is a pretty simple case. Sometimes (often) drugs distribute from the blood into the tissue. When this happens, you'll see a "kink" in the drug log concentration vs time curve. The data decrease pretty fast initially as the blood is cleared. Then the drug leaks out of the tissues more slowly.

This is apparently what happens in propofol. It goes in and gets absorbed into the tissue while it clears from the blood. Then the drug in the tissue leaks out mroe slowly. Because there are two slopes, you can calculate two half-lives.

For the layperson who is getting propofol, one just needs to know that its effects clear pretty quickly.

Ok, recall that I said that the info was for pharmacologists... But here goes.

;tldr version: the drug gets absorbed by the tissues and leaks out more slowly than the clearance rate from the blood.

If you plot blood concentration of a drug vs time using a semilog plot (log of concentration vs linear time) you often observe a linear increase, then the concentration maxes out and the data decrease linearly. If this happens you can make the argument that the increase shows that the drug was absorbed due to mass action (there's a half life in the gut) and then the drug clears out due to mass action (there's a half life in the blood). Mass action is:

rate of drug clearance (in gut or blood) = ln(2)/(half life) * mass of drug (in gut or blood)

This is a pretty simple case. Sometimes (often) drugs distribute from the blood into the tissue. When this happens, you'll see a "kink" in the drug log concentration vs time curve. The data decrease pretty fast initially as the blood is cleared. Then the drug leaks out of the tissues more slowly.

This is apparently what happens in propofol. It goes in and gets absorbed into the tissue while it clears from the blood. Then the drug in the tissue leaks out mroe slowly. Because there are two slopes, you can calculate two half-lives.

For the layperson who is getting propofol, one just needs to know that its effects clear pretty quickly.
Thanks. Makes perfect sense.

I've had the rectal camera without anesthetic for a partial colonoscopy(1/3 of the way) Trust me. You want the anesthetic......It's very unpleasant.
Although, you can drive straight afterwards.......
Honestly, I think I would be swerving all over the place and not staying in my lane

I have friends who have a nice heavy-duty doormat at their front door that says "Leave". Not Welcome, Leave. I tried to buy it from them, was greeted with a hard No. They had purchased so many years prior (well before the pandemic) they couldn't remember where or how much they paid. Man, what I would give . . . .
I saw one for sale that said:
Don't Stop
Be Leaving

I have friends who have a nice heavy-duty doormat at their front door that says "Leave". Not Welcome, Leave. I tried to buy it from them, was greeted with a hard No. They had purchased so many years prior (well before the pandemic) they couldn't remember where or how much they paid. Man, what I would give . . . .
I was tempted to use let me google that for you (lmgtfy.com). But you can but it from Amazon and other places:
https://www.amazon.com/Doormat-Housewarming-Outdoor-Kitchen-Bedroom/dp/B0C6JVGTNK?th=1

1716416579979.png

Back