Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never noticed that shot copying before. Well done, someone.

Galaxy Quest is the best Star Trek movie with the possible exception of Star Trek: Save The Whales, so this isn't entirely a surprise.
A parody of a star Wars or Star Trek movie isn't a Star Wars or Star Trek movie, even if it's better than some of the real ones. The best orange in the world is not a better apple than the worst apple.

(And Galaxy Quest can't hold a candle to The Wrath of Kahn, The Undiscovered Country, First Contact, or Insurrection. I'm not so sure about So Long and Thanks for All the Fish.)

It is! But, the few people I've known who have that kind of wealth and don't "work/have jobs", spend all their time/stress trying to manage and protect that wealth. In the end, I suspect it feels like the same kind of grind for all of us...only with better toys in some instances.

That's why I am grateful to have achieved true freedom, through poverty.

It is! But, the few people I've known who have that kind of wealth and don't "work/have jobs", spend all their time/stress trying to manage and protect that wealth. In the end, I suspect it feels like the same kind of grind for all of us...only with better toys in some instances.
I guess it sort of depends on what you mean by work life balance. In my situation, I had enough college fund left after graduation to put a down payment on a house, and my wife graduated with no student debt because of family contributions. I can count on one hand the number of years since then that I could afford this house due to my salary not keeping pace with housing prices. After 20 years of extra payments, refinancing to a lower rate without adding to the principal, etc. we paid off the mortgage. That lets me go to 80% time at work, which is fantastic for my work-life balance.

So generational wealth in the form of a college fund made that possible, aided by being given cars in good shape by my inlaws rather than buying cars. It was also possible because of choosing a state university instead of private so I'd have money left over, choosing to put extra money into the mortgage rather than vacations, staying in the same house instead of trading up, etc. So it wasn't all handed to me on a platter, but the contributions from our families made a difference.

I guess it sort of depends on what you mean by work life balance. In my situation, I had enough college fund left after graduation to put a down payment on a house, and my wife graduated with no student debt because of family contributions. I can count on one hand the number of years since then that I could afford this house due to my salary not keeping pace with housing prices. After 20 years of extra payments, refinancing to a lower rate without adding to the principal, etc. we paid off the mortgage. That lets me go to 80% time at work, which is fantastic for my work-life balance.

So generational wealth in the form of a college fund made that possible, aided by being given cars in good shape by my inlaws rather than buying cars. It was also possible because of choosing a state university instead of private so I'd have money left over, choosing to put extra money into the mortgage rather than vacations, staying in the same house instead of trading up, etc. So it wasn't all handed to me on a platter, but the contributions from our families made a difference.
I was referring to those I'd call being "filthy rich". I don't see sound financial planning, some help from family or making prudent choices with the money you have (paying off a mortgage versus toys/extravagance) .

So it wasn't all handed to me on a platter, but the contributions from our families made a difference.
A big difference. You made smart choices that let you take full advantage of what was handed to you. And there are plenty of stories of people getting to the same place you are without that head start, but it sure is a whole lot harder.

I was referring to those I'd call being "filthy rich". I don't see sound financial planning, some help from family or making prudent choices with the money you have (paying off a mortgage versus toys/extravagance) .
I guess it's down to what you consider generational wealth. I know a number of people who were able to buy a house because of a [relatively modest] inheritance. Of course, a 30-year fixed rate mortgage is rent control in the sense that you aren't nearly as subject to increases in housing costs (yes, taxes and insurance do go up, but they're a modest share of the total).
A big difference. You made smart choices that let you take full advantage of what was handed to you. And there are plenty of stories of people getting to the same place you are without that head start, but it sure is a whole lot harder.
And it's getting harder with the way interest rates and student debt are now. Even without student debt, my kids talk about being unlikely to be able to buy a house without an inheritance. My daughter might be able to do it, but that's because she's in a smaller town and would likely buy land and build a house with her partner.

Off the soapbox now, nobody's laughing.

I guess it's down to what you consider generational wealth. I know a number of people who were able to buy a house because of a [relatively modest] inheritance. Of course, a 30-year fixed rate mortgage is rent control in the sense that you aren't nearly as subject to increases in housing costs (yes, taxes and insurance do go up, but they're a modest share of the total).

And it's getting harder with the way interest rates and student debt are now. Even without student debt, my kids talk about being unlikely to be able to buy a house without an inheritance. My daughter might be able to do it, but that's because she's in a smaller town and would likely buy land and build a house with her partner.

Off the soapbox now, nobody's laughing.

Yup, I've been in touch with real estate prices in Anacortes for about 40 years, now.

And then you’re stopped because you’re a teen in a hoody…

Ps actually happened to someone I know.

That was a routine occurance with my friends and me in high school and college. I usually wore hoodies, cargo shorts and Chuck Taylor's or Vans. (Still do at 42). We were often followed arouns at the mall and in record stores and sometimes stopped to be accused of stealing.

That was a routine occurance with my friends and me in high school and college. I usually wore hoodies, cargo shorts and Chuck Taylor's or Vans. (Still do at 42). We were often followed arouns at the mall and in record stores and sometimes stopped to be accused of stealing.
I was always the one assigned to carry contraband at high school (nothing stolen, just not supposed to have it on campus) because of my good grades and innocent face.

Back