Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps. But don't get overly wowed by that stuff. The qualifying descriptive term is "artificial", i.e. not real, or only an imitation of the real thing. GIGO still applies.
I’m not, I don’t see how it not being made by a human makes it an imitation though, it did a better job than a human could. It’s a machine that does a job a human can do for cheap, just like a assembly line with robots.

it did a better job than a human could.
Yeah, no.

It's all fun and games until the Virgin Mary has too many fingers. (left is an AI-generated image, right is an actual painting.)

As a regular Dall-E user generating character art and scenery for the Starfinder campaign that I'm GM'ing, faces, hands, and feet almost never look quite right. It's good enough for my amateur purposes in showing what a major NPC or setting looks like, but it's nothing worthy of hanging in a museum.

1709641703673.png

Yeah, no.

It's all fun and games until the Virgin Mary has too many fingers. (left is an AI-generated image, right is an actual painting.)

As a regular Dall-E user generating character art and scenery for the Starfinder campaign that I'm GM'ing, faces, hands, and feet almost never look quite right. It's good enough for my amateur purposes in showing what a major NPC or setting looks like, but it's nothing worthy of hanging in a museum.

View attachment 634023
It isn’t very good at limbs because they are not as prevalent in the data set (all the pictures of only the face) but if you want to make one person look like a different one that’s easy.

Ps different prompts can help that sort of thing.

I’m not, I don’t see how it not being made by a human makes it an imitation though, it did a better job than a human could. It’s a machine that does a job a human can do for cheap, just like a assembly line with robots.
It's not the picture that's artificial, since all pictures are artificial. It's the intelligence. A person who knows nothing about Mary, shown a ton of pictures and asked to draw her in some particular pose or clothing or whatever the prompt was, would draw her with five fingers, even if there were only face shots in the data set. Sure, a different prompt could help, but a person would not have to have "five fingers on each hand" as part of it. Because real intelligence works better than the artificial kind (for now).

"I can't help noticing, you have six fingers on your right hand."

It's not the picture that's artificial, since all pictures are artificial. It's the intelligence. A person who knows nothing about Mary, shown a ton of pictures and asked to draw her in some particular pose or clothing or whatever the prompt was, would draw her with five fingers, even if there were only face shots in the data set. Sure, a different prompt could help, but a person would not have to have "five fingers on each hand" as part of it. Because real intelligence works better than the artificial kind (for now).

"I can't help noticing, you have six fingers on your right hand."
But they know that human have 5 fingers, they have seen human since birth and they all (probably) have 5 fingers, if you had a human that had never seen human hands they very well might put 6 fingers on them.

But they know that human have 5 fingers, they have seen human since birth and they all (probably) have 5 fingers, if you had a human that had never seen human hands they very well might put 6 fingers on them.
True, but that's kind of the point. People have lives full of experience, there's no one who hasn't seen human hands since the moment of their birth. The various AIs' training bases are not only smaller than the average human's, they are hugely, vastly smaller. So far. They are so much smaller that we can't judge how well we should expect the AIs to do once they have more data; all we know is that, so far, they don't do terribly well. I'm pretty sure that they won't in my lifetime, and I have my doubts that they will in yours.

True, but that's kind of the point. People have lives full of experience, there's no one who hasn't seen human hands since the moment of their birth. The various AIs' training bases are not only smaller than the average human's, they are hugely, vastly smaller. So far. They are so much smaller that we can't judge how well we should expect the AIs to do once they have more data; all we know is that, so far, they don't do terribly well. I'm pretty sure that they won't in my lifetime, and I have my doubts that they will in yours.

Some of us are still pessimistic about fully self-driving cars.

Back