Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I want to know is the story of the first person who decided he was going to bust open the hive of these stinging bugs and eat whatever was inside.
There are a whole lot of "I want to know the story of the first person to..." There are a lot of weird foods that require complex preparations to be palatable. Who figured out how vanilla beans? Who figured out all the processing steps for chocolate? How about beer? Etc...

There are a whole lot of "I want to know the story of the first person to..." There are a lot of weird foods that require complex preparations to be palatable. Who figured out how vanilla beans? Who figured out all the processing steps for chocolate? How about beer? Etc...
What about cocaine? Have you seen the process for that? It literally involves soaking it in gasoline.

What about cocaine? Have you seen the process for that? It literally involves soaking it in gasoline.

Cocaine kind of makes sense because the raw leaf is a stimulant. I can see how intrepid people might try to figure out how to extract that to put in, say, soda. I'm boggled by how people figured out which mushrooms were safe to eat.

Nature and wild animals figured all that out long before we were here. All one has to to is watch what nature does and emulate. There are exceptions naturally because what may be safe for the animal may not be for humans, but those were learned very quickly.

Watching people die from eating the wrong mushroom

Darwin is a harsh mistress (or something like that). 😀

Nature and wild animals figured all that out long before we were here. All one has to to is watch what nature does and emulate. There are exceptions naturally because what may be safe for the animal may not be for humans, but those were learned very quickly.

Fair, but there are also a whole raft of mushrooms that are in the "OK if cooked but not if raw" category. It's hard to get animal input on effects of cooking.

b260dfa098dd2f03fa47a28f54514557efacefc3.jpeg

I've wondered what is was like for the first person that ate curdled milk.

I knew a guy who called his horse Alpo.
I had a guy that raised beef (longhorn/angus cross) that fed one up for me. I told him I named the steer. He rolled his eyes and asked what the name was. I told him "Lunch". He was 🤣 for a while.

can you imagine being the first person to try caviar. just tear open a fish and eat whatever the **** freaky beads fall out of it
East Berlin, back when it still was: Part of the meal at the gourmet restaurant (in the five star hotel built to impress westerners) was smoked russian caviar with krim sekt (russian champagne) mighty tasty. The four course meal only cost each of us about $6 apiece (the west supported the dmark over the east german mark). We left a tip for the waiter that was more than the cost of the meal. He was a doctor that moonlighted at waiting tables because he made more that way than doctoring.

That's not the "approved" method. It's the cheap and dirty way used by people who don't care about the resulting quality.

Nature and wild animals figured all that out long before we were here. All one has to to is watch what nature does and emulate.
Long ago a friend told me that an Army field survival guide instructs "Wach carefully the monkey. Everything he eats is edible. And so is the monkey."

I've wondered what is was like for the first person that ate curdled milk.
You beat me to it. I was going ro mention cheese, yogurt, etc.

Look up how tofu is made. And lutefisk.

I'm pretty sure some lf it is desperation. When it's eat the spoiled milk curds or starve, you eat the curds. And after you don't get too sick, you're quicker to eat it again. But that doesn't explain tofu of lutefisk.

Back