Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
120010217_667729140848237_2330567743173685940_n.jpg

Well, then I guess we're in agreement. There are lots of great foods that combine beef and pork (meatloaf mix, bacon cheeseburger,...) but some good sausage and a glass of milk is usually good enough.

I took a year or so off about 2005 and attended gunsmith school. I was shocked to discover how many people were never taught fractions. How can they read a ruler or a tape measure?

Jim

It's an inch and a little more...

A inch and 3 little marks.

Mike
I do that in woodworking all the time. Why? Well, some rulers are in 16ths, some are in 32nds, or God help me 64ths. My tape measures are 1/16th and 1/32nd depending on where you are on the tape and I use 1/10th graduated rulers for other stuff. Just so much easier to go an inch and 3 lines than to actually look at the scale, figure out the actual number, remember it and then make the mark on the thing that needs to be cut when an inch and 3 lines works great. Just don't switch rulers between measuring and marking!

In Oklahoma?
Hey Xray;

No I went in CO. There are a couple of specialized schools in CO. I attended the lesser (and cheaper) of the two. I went to the CO School of Trades in Lakewood, CO. The better program is located in Trinidad. Either way, you will generally get out of the program what you put into it. You come out of both with an Assoc. degree in either case. I also worked at Gunsmoke my last few months at school and for about six months after graduation. Gunsmoke was the gun shop in the TV show 'American Guns'. I worked there several years before the show was made. Yes, that's the one where the owner, Rich Wyatt ended up wearing a stylish orange jumpsuit in a Federal Pen. That's another story.

Jim

I took a year or so off about 2005 and attended gunsmith school. I was shocked to discover how many people were never taught fractions. How can they read a ruler or a tape measure?

Jim

Decimal ruler? Because of the work I've done, I've accumulated engineer's and archetect's rules. My then stupid brother picked one up and measured some things without noticing what he was doing. He proved he *can* learn!

65 year old goes to the doctor for knee pain.

Remember, this was in the days before golf carts.

He says, “Doc, when I get to the second round of gold each day, by the 16th hole my knee really hurts.”

Doc replies, “You are 65 and play two rounds of golf a day? You must have good genes. How old was your father when he died?”

Patient replies, “Who said he’s dead? He’s 85, he only plays one round of golf per day.”

Doc in surprise, “Wow, that’s wonderful. How old was your grandfather when he died?”

Patient, “Who says he’s dead? He’s 105. Doesn’t play much golf anymore, but he’s getting married next month?”

Doc, again surprised, “Why would a 105 year old man want to get married?”

Patient, “Who says he wanted to?”

Another thing few can read is vernier calipers.
I got a 350mm (about 14”, reads both) from work. They were going into the trash because no one could read them.
Work for me! Don’t jump gear teeth or have dead batteries.
We had a class in college that taught us how to do that (and many other things). It was probably in one of my drafting classes, but there was also an electrical engineering class on the principles of how various (non-digital) meters worked, why they varied in accuracy, and how to read them properly.

Oh, yeah; vernier calipers, sliderules, books of logarithms and trig functions. You young kids get off of my lawn (shakes fist at cloud).

I had forgotten about sliderules. I used my dad's when I was in primary school. Good gadget, and I reckon I could still use one today, after a break of over 40 years. Used to know how to use an abacus reasonably well too, but that is long forgotten.

I tried to explain vernier calipers to some high school students without having one in hand. They smiled and nodded at me. 🤨

My verniers would be the most used measurement tool in the workshop, mainly due to the digital calipers always having flat batteries when I need them. The verniers also work to a similar level of accuracy that I normally work around. It is rare I have to get the micrometers out.

Back