Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I talked to an attorney about someone planning to get a paralegal degree. He said he'd rather just take someone out of high school and intern them for a couple of years and would have a better product and pay the person as much or more.

There are simply not enough jobs REQUIRING a college degree for all the people GETTING a college degree.

Not saying don't GO to college. Saying, "make sure you have an end in mind."

One problem is that many HR departments aren't as enlightened as the attorney and are using a college degree as a gatekeeper to positions that don't need it, like say receptionists or purchasing/receiving office jobs. The end state is in Kurt Vonnegut's Player Piano, where the characters need a PhD to be a receptionist. I agree that the college degree isn't required for those jobs, but nobody thought to tell HR, so it's a requirement on the job posting.

Sadly, this isn't making anyone LOL, so I'll stop drifting the thread like I'm in a Fast and Furious movie.

This site, I think, has a unique perspective when it comes to careers. Pretty much everybody here builds stuff. Mechanically minded folk.

Stay with me here folks...

I grew up on a farm, worked at Sears in high school selling Craftsman tools and loved cars. My folks wanted me to get a 4 year degree.

About a year and a half into college I quickly recognized I didn't want to go for more than an Associates degree. That's because I was working full time as a Draftsman and going to school part time. And what I wanted, as a career, was to design stuff AND THEN BUILD IT. As a Mechanical Engineer in a manufacturing environment, once you get a Bachelors degree, your likely not going to spend much time on the shop floor trouble shooting and learning from the guys building the product.

So many kids today haven't a clue what THEY ARE GOOD AT. And they didn't have the opportunity to grow up in an environment to try out different things. That's slipping away.

Maybe less STEM focus in high school and less sports... and go back to what worked in the past... add in some trades, such as shop classes. Not building a bird house shop classes, but some rocketry, some welding, some drafting, that kind of curriculum. But also the STEM disciplines too.

Without that, how is a kid supposed to know what they are GOOD AT and ENJOY?

Today it seems I here all the time "You can be anything you want to be"... While that sounds good does it mean anything if the kid has no experience with it?

Shouldn't the message really be "You can be anything you want to be.... That You Are Good At"?

Schools, and parents, should be helping them to figure out what they are good at.

Norman Rockwell Rocket.jpg

Last edited:
main-qimg-b9d158b46abe78c0e2c69a2aae6e3188.webp

bwxTgw2.png

If you ever get a chance, read "The Disadvantages of being Educated" by Albert Jay Nock. It's an essay he wrote in 1932. In it, he differentiats "being educated", and "being trainable"; it is just as true today.

I think everyone should read it. Also read some of Mike Rowe's essays about vocational training.

I really this were a video!

Hmm, my copy and paste are not working. Gotta log out and back in. Stay tuned ....

Last edited:
D1O_KVjWwAEhqGY.jpg

A Mathematician Wrote a 'Hipster Equation' to Figure Out Why All Hipsters Look Alike
- 9 Apr 2019

https://www.livescience.com/64954-hipster-equation-solves-hipster-paradox.html

An irate, bearded man threatened to sue the MIT Technology Review this week after he read an article on their website called "The hipster effect: Why anti-conformists always end up looking the same." The man claimed that the photo accompanying the article — which showed a bearded man in a beanie and flannel shirt — had been stolen from his social media profile, used without his permission, and was tantamount to slander.
The reader was wrong. The man in the photo wasn't him at all.

This legal kerfuffle inadvertently tested the hypothesis of Brandeis University mathematician Jonathan Touboul, whose study on the double-edged sword of non-conformity was the subject of the original article. In his study, published Feb. 21 to the preprint journal arXiv.org, Touboul questioned what he called "the hipster paradox." If non-conformists — or "hipsters" — define their behavior as opposing mainstream culture, he wondered, why do so many of them end up looking, dressing and thinking alike?

Touboul wrote an equation to try to find out.

D1UT1o9XcAY0oV_.jpg

D1Tx-N0XcAAz-2d.jpg

Absolutely below absolute zero.
D1AjMWlX4AEfKpz.jpg

well, they did say they were gonna outdo that Gad particle !

Attachments

• 25c515a3d1b642cdd61436046a2cc285-d2fe5fp.jpg
    25c515a3d1b642cdd61436046a2cc285-d2fe5fp.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 164

Latest posts

Back