Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diesels. There is no way that ship can go that fast in that wind with that much sail area. Even with very efficient wing sails. Captain Technicality says it’s a sail-assisted vessel. And it is most definitely not the first.
I was wondering about that, too. Thank goodness we have a boat expert here.

I was wondering about that, too. Thank goodness we have a boat expert here.
Wind power is a little like solar in that the available energy density is relatively low*. If you’re really going to power a boat with sails, you both need a lot of sail area and you need to optimize the hull shape for low resistance. Both of those tend to make the boat less useful for carrying either people or cargo at scale.

You can tell when diesel power became relatively cheap and available by boats’ hull shapes. When power was expensive, the hulls were a lot prettier.

* Unless you’re in the Southern Ocean, and even then only if you’re going downwind.

🙄 Upfront, I see NO Star Trek spin-off's comparing to the original series. That said, using your 'venacular', the original series was "woke" at the the time! Most episodes were social commentary applicable to this day. A black woman kissing Kirk? First time ever in TV!

Or perhaps you simply look past the episode "Let that Be Your Last Battlefield" (featuring the late, great Frank Gorshin), which was indicative of the stupid racial tensions in or country at the time (100 years after 750K plus people gave their lives to "resolve" the issue!)

I don't think you know anything about the original series, Gene Roddenberry or what he was saying at the time!
That's not woke. Wokism is saying "The white man is evil and invented slavery." Old Star Trek never did that.

That's not woke. Wokism is saying "The white man is evil and invented slavery." Old Star Trek never did that.
Oh, well, if that's what wokism is then darn near no one is woke. Because virtually no one saying that. And anyone who tells you that lots of people are saying that is lying to you.

Oh, well, if that's what wokism is then darn near no one is woke. Because virtually no one saying that. And anyone who tells you that lots of people are saying that is lying to you.
Ok, I usually don't do this on the LOL thread. But I must, as I agree with you. The problem is that these idiotic splinter viewpoints on both sides are not only given megaphones, but as well use lying and deceptive tactics (is there a difference?), partial truths, and "newspeak" to "prove" their point.

A really prominent fellow from 1st century Judea once said "The truth will set you free." At least you don't have to remember what lie you told to who.

"Nerd sniping" has entered my everyday lexicon. Anytime I encounter a technical problem that I can't let go until I've solved it, I tell my wife I was nerd sniped, and she understands.
At my old office, the younger engineers had the Answer Triangle, which was the corridor between my cube and those of two other more senior engineers. Standard practice with a difficult problem was to stand in the middle of the Answer Triangle and (in a voice slightly louder than normal conversation) say "I'm having real trouble with Problem X and I don't know how to solve it." About 5 minutes of discussion would ensure, and about 90% of the time the problem would be solved. I knew about it, but I'm not entirely sure that the other two knew what was going on.

I would also sometimes tell one of those two engineers "I just don't think that Excel can do that..." This usually got a solution on my desk in an hour.

View attachment 636155
I have seen my death…
Turns out, that's an extraordinarily difficult problem. There was extensive discussion of it on the XKCD forum when that comic came out. Someone eventually solved it using a 2D Fourier transform; I'm quite familiar with the Fourier transform, and I have no idea either how that solution worked or why that transform would be involved. Since the 2D transform is used mainly in image processing, I suppose some insight came from that field. (I frequented that forum at the time.)

Turns out, that's an extraordinarily difficult problem. There was extensive discussion of it on the XKCD forum when that comic came out. Someone eventually solved it using a 2D Fourier transform; I'm quite familiar with the Fourier transform, and I have no idea either how that solution worked or why that transform would be involved. Since the 2D transform is used mainly in image processing, I suppose some insight came from that field. (I frequented that forum at the time.)
Link please, I know an electrical engineer who’s favorite math thing is the Fourier transform that would love that.

Ps my first thought was 3 ohm because electricity takes the shortish route and that was the minimum number of resistors.

"Nerd sniping" has entered my everyday lexicon. Anytime I encounter a technical problem that I can't let go until I've solved it, I tell my wife I was nerd sniped, and she understands.

My entire involvement in rocketry is a case of getting nerd sniped.

Back