Polecat Saturn V almost done!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben

Reaction score
Well My deadline is nearing. I picked it up from Will Marchant in November 2006 and I have been slaving over it since.

https://home.comcast.net/~bnu/saturnvdisplay.html

That is the whole story. here are some more recent photos. I am going to sand the aft end this evening. I need to glue on stringers to one fairing and I am done! Then I will sand it and do the black on the lower half

Ben

Cool! Is the stand going to fit now that all the doohickies are glued on? Feel free to shorten the base poles so that the padded areas aren't resting on the detail pieces. Are we going to see a cloud of detail piece "confetti" when this thing lifts off? :)

I am actually going to make a new carrier for it that will fit in my truck bed and be padded to protect it. Then put wheels on it so I can move it and have a spot frot he nosecone. The wooden pieces are atually glued pretty good. I am gluing the resin pieces on with 5min. Those are awating 2nd coat of paint right now. I am going to finish wetsanding the nosecone tommorrow and put the final coat of primer on before paint. I am trying to wrap this up so I can A) finish a project for goodness sake ;) and B) work on finishing others for Red Glare. I am hoping to paint my Nike Apache AMRAAM Fatboy and Deuce. Atleast primer.

Ben

Originally posted by MaxQ
Ben...you actually paint some rockets!

I was getting the impression you flew bare nekid.

I do. I only have 1 rocket ( the SS1) full 100% painted. most of them ar in primer. :p

Ben

well I pulled the nosecone down and did soem work on it.

here it is with the white one (sun overpowered the white)

here is is with the silver for the CM and upper black stripe

Here is a close up of the silver

I think I might actually be able to pull this off! :)

Ben

Originally posted by ben
well I pulled the nosecone down and did soem work on it.

here it is with the white one (sun overpowered the white)

here is is with the silver for the CM and upper black stripe

Here is a close up of the silver

I think I might actually be able to pull this off! :)

Ben

Looks nice! But I don't see any RCS nozzles anywhere. Did Andy not supply any of that? Or are you putting them on after painting?

Originally posted by WillMarchant
Looks nice! But I don't see any RCS nozzles anywhere. Did Andy not supply any of that? Or are you putting them on after painting?

the thrusters were not supplied (maybe they were and you lost them ;) :p ) but all the other resin parts I am paiting seperately and gluing on with 5min epoxy.

I am going to get some pictures (and the ones on the disk) to see about getting some made by sandman or someone else. Those can be added on after the launch so they do not fal off :) ;)

Ben

The photo at https://www.polecataerospace.com/saturn_v_-_10.htm shows them. I'm pretty sure I didn't lose them. Maybe they're something Andy leaves to the kit builder. Anyway, the deal was that you have to fully detail the kit before it is allowed to fly. I'll make you sweat a bit at the pre-flight inspection. I'm bringing along a team of experts to assist since you'll be so busy flying all those other motors and rockets... :)

The photo at https://www.polecataerospace.com/saturn_v_-_10.htm shows them. I'm pretty sure I didn't lose them. Maybe they're something Andy leaves to the kit builder. Anyway, the deal was that you have to fully detail the kit before it is allowed to fly. I'll make you sweat a bit at the pre-flight inspection. I'm bringing along a team of experts to assist since you'll be so busy flying all those other motors and rockets... :)

I will look but I don't have them. If you could check or keep and eye out for them that would be great! Who is part of this "team" ? ;) I am already sweating!

Once I get the chance I will upload some photos for you. I stacked it all up and it was a foot shy of my garages ceiling!

Ben

Everybody at this Forum...THEY ARE ALL COMING!, CJL, NATE, BSexton, .....EVERYBODY!

And Bunny too!
We thought Mr. Bundick would like to take a close look at this thing.

Hey Ben, you're not feeling the heat are you? (LOL)

Everybody at this Forum...THEY ARE ALL COMING!, CJL, NATE, BSexton, .....EVERYBODY!

And Bunny too!
We thought Mr. Bundick would like to take a close look at this thing.

Hey Ben, you're not feeling the heat are you? (LOL)

nnnnope :looks side to side: nnnnot at all ;)

Ben

Ben:
Remember.
This is a hobby, it's for fun. Nothing to prove.
Work and school are for pressure.

Don't put a lot of pressure on yourself with this stuff...

You've got a lot on your plate here.

If you don't get it all done this month...there's always next time, believe me.

Ben:
Remember.
This is a hobby, it's for fun. Nothing to prove.
Work and school are for pressure.

Don't put a lot of pressure on yourself with this stuff...

You've got a lot on your plate here.

If you don't get it all done this month...there's always next time, believe me.

I can always fly it Sunday with someone else's sig on a larger motor <font size="8">S</font> BBWWUHHAHAHAHA ;) :p

Ben

Originally posted by ben
I do. I only have 1 rocket ( the SS1) full 100% painted. most of them ar in primer. :p

Ben

Attaboy! I just painted my first HPR rocket the other day!

Originally posted by Nate
Attaboy! I just painted my first HPR rocket the other day!

aren't they huge! took me like 10min to make it all the way around it. and my arm only make 36" passes its over 6' long to paint!

Ben

haha, well I've painted them all with primer, so I wasn't so much impressed with the size as much as I was impressed with my motivation!

Originally posted by Nate
haha, well I've painted them all with primer, so I wasn't so much impressed with the size as much as I was impressed with my motivation!

no kidding! I went through 3 cans of primer today. My wallet can't take that much motivation ;)

Ben

ok, I stacked it together yesterday and it was frightening thinking it could fall at any mment ruining it completely.

For those of you wearing glasses take them off and cover your eyes ;)

Ben

Very impressive!!! The only nitpick I have is that the interstage roll pattern shouldn't be quite so long; otherwise what a model!

Looking good, Ben!

About the "USA" decals... You know, on the real rocket, that those weren't visible because of frost build-up due to the cryogenic fuels...

Looking good, Ben!

About the "USA" decals... You know, on the real rocket, that those weren't visible because of frost build-up due to the cryogenic fuels...

well I'l put them on anyways :)

Ben

Originally posted by dcastle
Very impressive!!! The only nitpick I have is that the interstage roll pattern shouldn't be quite so long; otherwise what a model!

I notice that myself. I measuerd it three times and it was spot on. I painted it and went back and it was an inch off. It didn't look right but I figured the drawings can't be wrong!

Ben

Here's a good image of a real Saturn 5, showing the roll patterns and the various lettering and flags and such. The rocket is unfueled at this point which is why therer is no frost formed on the outside of the various cryogenic tanks.

I just got back form ordering the vinyl. It was $25 for USA, UNITED STATES, and the ABCD letters on each fin. It was the first time I have been in this local digital sign shop and I can tell you it won't be my last :) Going to get some vinyl sets for other models.

Ben

Here is the proof I got from the sign shop. Should be done by Monday!

Ben

little update, I finished applying the stringers to the E-bay. I also glued a fine back on (little mishap due to the #%$%&^%$%@#$%#$^$%^#$%#$^#$% wind ) and I am wating for it to dry. I am working on little things like filling smal dents and 220 sanding the fairings and fillets etc. I am hoping to go into primer tomorrow.

Ben

Latest posts

Back