PML Matrix

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mc2rocket

Like to hear some feedback on the Matrix, mostly how it performed and on what motor? Dual Deploy? Thanks

Irv
mc2rocket
NAR#83723
L-2:confused:

Originally posted by mc2rocket
Like to hear some feedback on the Matrix, mostly how it performed and on what motor? Dual Deploy? Thanks

Irv
mc2rocket
NAR#83723
L-2:confused:

I have a Matrix. I have only flown it on H123W and H242T motors so far but I have been very pleased with it's performance.

Mine is single deploy, it recovers quite well on the stock chute.

I would like to contribute to this thread, but my Matrix suffered a catostrophic event during my L1 certification flight. So I'm afraid I can't be of much help. One thing I would reccomend though, the instructions call for a vent hole beneath the nose cone. Put one there, but also put one just below where the piston rests in the lower part of the body tube. Those higher power motors build up alot of pressure, so be sure to have at least those 2 vent holes. If you haven't built it yet, it is a pretty simple and straight forward build. It is a really nice lookin' kit when finished.

Thanks for the feedback. One other question, how do the fins hold up on landing? During my model rocket adventures I found that fiins that go past the bottom of the airframe, (although, most of the time look the best), took a much heavier beating than ones that did not.

ANY EXPERIENCES?????????

IRV
NAR# 83723
Level 2

Thanks for the feedback. One other question, how do the fins hold up on landing? During my model rocket adventures I found that fiins that go past the bottom of the airframe, (although, most of the time look the best), took a much heavier beating than ones that did not.

Short of recovery with a non-fully deployed chute, the G10 fins are more than capable of taking (multiple) rough landings. Your biggest concern with the fins are making sure that the Quantum Tubing was roughed up well for your fillets. If the fins fail in a PML kit, it is usually the fins popping loose because the fillets didn't stick well to the airframe tubing.

HTH,

Flown mine on H242, I357 and Pro38 I387-SS. All work fine, but I'd have thought the H123 might be a little underpowered.

The main rear fins ar pretty robust, but as mentioned in earlier post, the epoxy fillets could detach from the plastic drainpipe tubing if not scuffed very well. It has not happened to my matrix, but has happened on one other of my QT rockets.

The rear fins are very large, and have pointed ends. Transporting is a PITA, and digs holes in the car if you dont tape some padding on the fin ends.

The forward fins on the PL bay part are surface mount only, and I have lost a few, presumably on ejection given that there are huge paint scratches where the main and forward sections have collided (and yes i did position the chute so that this shoud not happen!)

My PML 4" Amraam has one flight, on landing with the stock chute it busted one of the rear fins.

The fillets held fine but there is now an approx 3/4" tear in one of the rear fins right above the fillet, running from the bottom of the fin straight up parallel with the top of the fillet.

Appears to still be fine for flight but it's there and drives me nuts...

Thanks for the feedback. One other question, how do the fins hold up on landing?

ANY EXPERIENCES????

Assuming you rough up the fins and body tube prior to assembly, it's tougher than you might think.

The last time I flew mine, it landed smack in the middle of the road.

My first thought before it hit the road, it was nice while it lasted and after it hit, let's see how many fins broke off.

Amazingly, there was absolutely no damage at all to the fins, just some scratched paint and a small nick in the piston and the tip of the nose cone.

Originally posted by andysrockets
Flown mine on H242, I357 and Pro38 I387-SS. All work fine, but I'd have thought the H123 might be a little underpowered.

The rear fins are very large, and have pointed ends. Transporting is a PITA, and digs holes in the car if you dont tape some padding on the fin ends.

I flew mine on the H123W, flew fine. Nice slow flight up to about 1,400 feet.

I wonder if anyone has tried the H112J (for the 38/360 casing) in this rocket as I would like to try it myself. I have heard you can't go wrong with an I161W in this rocket.

I transport my rockets in a minivan with the two rear seats folded down and an old bed comforter laid across them with the rockets on top. Works like a champ.:D

Got an H148R coming, should be awesome, white and black rocket, red flame. Can't wait!!!:D

drat,I was looking forward to a "kit review" ...isn't that the intention of this category?

I just finished one this weekend and thought I'd publish my thoughts as Styme seemed so let down...

Matrix_Web_2.jpg

As usual, it's a PML QT design with phenolic internals and G10 fins. It has more fins than you can shake a stick at. There are tweve (12) fins you have to mount and fillet. The body is composed of two sections of 3" QT and a regulation PML nosecone. The usual piston deployment sytem is there and it come with a standard PML Dura-Chute.

Assembly was straightforward and I did make a few variations here and there.

I cut a series of sawtooth nothches in the bottom edge of the fins that are surface mount (the "plasma reactor cooling vanes" on the payload bay and the forward fins on the main body. Then I tacked them in place with CA and uses a slurry of West epoxy and milled glass to finish it off. The lower fins are the usual TTW mount which is typical for PML .

PML specifies a white body/NC with Black fins. Boooooring.

I went with red fins, white body, and a black metallic NC.

Unusual for PML is the number of Decals. All told there are 18. However nice the finished rocket is, the decals really dress it up.

One addition I made was to add a ring of eight nylon rivets around the top and bottom edge of the payload bay. The upper ones secure the NC, and the lower ones just look cool.

I replaced the standard thin wall brass launch lugs with railbuttons.

Other than that its a standard PML QT build.

It has not flown yet, however I plan to first fly it on one of the new AT G67 Redlines, given that I can lay my hands on one. If not first up will be a H165R.

Something about this rocket just screams Redline.

Al

I also loved the idea of the notches on the top small fins. You say you used the West Epoxy with milled glass, I've never used West can you tell me about the milled glass????? I've always used 30min Epoxy with Mircoballons on the fillets.

IRV

I also loved the idea of the notches on the top small fins. You say you used the West Epoxy with milled glass, I've never used West can you tell me about the milled glass????? I've always used 30min Epoxy with Mircoballons on the fillets.

IRV

FWIW...

microballoons = easier to sand epoxy

milled fiber (tiny pieces of fiberglass) = IMPOSSIBLE to sand epoxy. Makes it nearly 3x stronger than only epoxy. Do not used milled fiber for fillets unless you feel comfortable making good fillets.

HTH,

LANCE
Thanks for the great heads up on the Epoxy, will follow your advise on fillets. Sounds like a great product to put on fins as fillets between motor tube and airframe no sanding there!!!

Thanks Again
IRV:)

After all the positive comments about the Matrix, I took the Leap and orderd one, (Hawk Mountain, had the best price along with the best reputation). I also purchased a small endeaver as well. PML had a good day.

While I build this Matrix I'd like to photo journal my experience, into a review. I'll post it hear as ESSENCES has every PML Kit all ready reviewed. You would think that learning to use digital cameras and posting on the net should be a breeze, as my wife is not only a Professinal Photogragher, she also owns her own Company. (her company our money HA!) I'm proud of what she has accomplished the past 10 years but I WILL be her biggest TASK yet.

IRV

:kill:

Congratulations on the purchase! Hope all goes well with the Matrix. I love my Small Endeavour. Great rocket! Hoping to use it for my cert (when I finally get the money to do so) on an H165. It flies great on a G64!

Back