PLEASE HELP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThikeHigh

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
HELP,
I am building a Peregrine rocket for level 2 Certification.

Somehow the coupler, unfinished, got pushed into the rocket tube, down past the top. I can't even get to turn withe the glazed finish on it.

How it got there I don't know, but that doesn't matter now.

For the life of me, trying many times, I can't figure out how get it out.

PLEASE HELP, I will be grateful for any suggestions that do not harm the rocket. THANK YOU!

Last edited:
Use a MMT ring or eBay plate to push on the coupler tube.

Use a MMT ring or eBay plate to push on the coupler tube.
Thank you, but the fin assemble is in the way. I will try compressed air tomorrow, when my compressor won't wake anyone up. I also saw to super-glue a cross member, twist and pull out. Then break the cross member off and sand the glue off. From the Apogee website.

Kind of guessing that the stuck coupler is in the way of installing another one. But he has not shared any pics, which may help.

Kind of guessing that the stuck coupler is in the way of installing another one. But he has not shared any pics, which may help.
David,
I had to take a long break due to health issues that are now resolved. I stored it my basement and let the coupler stay in the rocket. It was moved a few times and I think that is where it sunk in. I am buying thick super glue as instructed on Apogee website to create a temporary handle to twist it out, then break the handle off and sand the super clue smooth. If that doesn't work, I will push it down further and buy another coupler. My confidence is high that this work.

Thank you for your input.

Before you go crazy... Is this an FG airframe or a paper/cardboard airframe?

Can you take a bulkhead, put an eyebolt in it with some rope, then squeeze your tube enough to get the bulkhead into the airframe past the coupler?

If you can do that, you can get the bulkhead into the airframe, then flip it flat against the backside of the coupler, then give it a good, constant tug.

You can use a bulkhead with opposite sides trimmed off so it will slip in through the coupler. Then flip it flat against the end of the coupler.

Since this is cardboard, I assume it took on moisture and swelled. If the tube is short enough to fit in an oven, you can heat it to dry it out, or put it in a bag with desiccant for a week or two, or three. Once the moisture content in the cardboard drops, the coupler should come back out.

Somehow the coupler, unfinished, got pushed into the rocket tube, down past the top. I can't even get to turn withe the glazed finish on it.
[...]It was moved a few times and I think that is where it sunk in. I am buying thick super glue as instructed on Apogee website to create a temporary handle to twist it out, then break the handle off and sand the super clue smooth.

This is a good idea.
To increase probability of success, dry the inside of the coupler with a hair dryer!

Paper airframes and couplers tend to absorb moisture over time, which makes them bulk up, and also increases friction coefficient. Try the hack out of the coupler and the airframe, and see if the two pieces separate.
Also, after drying, you can gently squeeze the outside perimeter of the airframe to "break" the surface stickiness between the coupler and the airframe.

If that doesn't work, I will push it down further and buy another coupler. My confidence is high that this work.

You really just need to get it moving a bit.
Push it in by 1/2", if necessary, to make it easier to pull it back out.

HTH, and good luck!
a

Thank you EVERYONE for the helpful replies.

I ended up super-glueing a wood bar exactly measured exactly to the inside width. I put on two glue fillets, let it dry for an hour, reached down an easily twisted and removed.

Then I broke off the bar and sanded the glued area.

I found this idea on an Apogee how-to video.

The Rocket is finished a ready to paint and fly.

Attachments

• IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    780.9 KB · Views: 0
Thank you EVERYONE for the helpful replies.

I ended up super-glueing a wood bar exactly measured exactly to the inside width. I put on two glue fillets, let it dry for an hour, reached down an easily twisted and removed.

Then I broke off the bar and sanded the glued area.

I found this idea on an Apogee how-to video.

The Rocket is finished a ready to paint and fly.

Good deal man!

Also thank you for coming back and explaining how you fixed it.

I have been on so many forums where problems are expressed, solutions are offered, and it is like the OP was abducted by aliens, never to be seen again.

Back