fiberglassed rocket to mach 2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Draney

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions or past experiences with attempting get a fiberglassed paper rocket to hit mach 2. Im a 13 yr old level 1 flyer and got mach 1 easy enough using the apogee Aspire. However i have decided to push the limits and fiberglass the rocket and stick an I205 in it. rocksim says it would do mach 2.2 given that I keep the weight down as much as possible. I need some advice from people who have tried this in the past. All help is welcome!

I misread the initial post..the below is in regards to..fiberglass rockets.

I concur with @rfjustin
reply regarding fiberglassed paper rockets..

You should also consult with your mentor.
Yes, fiberglass rockets are capable of going mach 2 and beyond....keep in mind that design and construction techniques are very important.

There seems to be a ..change in the ....harshness..of the flight around mach 2.7.

Tony

Last edited:
Does anyone have any suggestions or past experiences with attempting get a fiberglassed paper rocket to hit mach 2. Im a 13 yr old level 1 flyer and got mach 1 easy enough using the apogee Aspire. However i have decided to push the limits and fiberglass the rocket and stick an I205 in it. rocksim says it would do mach 2.2 given that I keep the weight down as much as possible. I need some advice from people who have tried this in the past. All help is welcome!
Getting a fiberglassed paper rocket to hit mach 2 will be EXTREMELY challenging. Consider using this rocket instead: https://wildmanrocketry.com/products/mach-2-rocket

Hey thanks for this suggestion it was actually my second option in case this wouldn't work so now that I have a second opinion ill definitely go with the Wildman kit. Thanks!

It is possible to fiberglass laminate LOC type cardboard tubing and exceed Mach 2. At the same time, it's usually cheaper to buy and build a fiberglass kit like Wildman's than buy a cardboard kit, fiberglassing supplies, the vacuum bagging equipment, etc. needed to go that direction. This is a hobby, so do it the way you want to and remember cost or easy construction isn't always the deciding factor.

Have fun!

Back