Personal Launch - Durham, NC, 11/25/05---11 flights

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRadiator

Reaction score
I was fortunate to once again have the help of a couple of young fellas to help me launch 11 rockets in an hour and a half today. The wind was swirling well above ground level, so it was mostly SL1/SL2 type rockets flying today.

First up, I flew an old Estes Cougar I bought off of eBay 3 years ago. :p It was it's first flight, so an A8-3 was sufficient. I used a chute instead of the streamer that came with the kit. Landed safe and sound, and amazed a 12 year old in the process.

Now that I have the timing down for these launch pictures, maybe I ought to get closer up to get more detail on the flying rocket. :)

Then the young fellas wanted to see a bigger rocket fly, and chose the Semroc Goliath to go next. Slapped in a B6-4 which produced a nice flight. It popped a bit after Apogee, but it landed on the flight line, so no chasing was needed. Now if I could only do that with EVERY flight, I'd love it!

A view of the Goliath's landing spot. Not too shabby!!

Sorry for the small photo...

Another vintage Estes eBay purchase from 3 years ago, the Estes Meanie! Unfortunately my timing was off, as this rocket is small and fast with an A10-3T. I did catch it's smoke trail though. Less is more, so they say.

One of the fellas with me, Michael, built a rocket out of some parts I bought from Semroc. I called it the Flying Lug, cuz there isn't much to it. I built one too, to show them how to put one together. Mikey stuffed a B6-4 in this one, which was a good choice, but he didn't glue the engine block too well. The motor went about 4 inched up into the rocket. It did manage to come home safely though.

The other boy, Steven, brought a Semroc Swift along for the ride. He also had a Flying Lug, but a fin brok eon the way over, so he just took this one for a ride. He's a guy after some of the other TRFers hearts around here. He used a C6-7 to see how high it can fly.

Now the end result can be summed up in one easy rocketry equation: 18mm Minimum diameter rocket + C6-7 = No rocket for you.

I'm one of those guys who likes to keep his rockets, even the small ones. Here's an MPC Tomahawk (34 years old, 1st flight) on an A8-3. The motor hook is useless, as it kicked the engine casing without much ado. The parachute never opened, so I may use a steamer the next time I take this one out to the pad. A fine flight though.

I brought a Flying Lug of my own, sans pinstripes (for the Lug's threads) and flew it on an A8-3. It turned in a nice flight, and worked well, but then again a 3FNC is hard to screw up!

Also brought out my old Custom Serval. How I love tube fins! Lots of drag, and lots of stability! I did bump the streamer in favor of a parachute. It always came down hard on a streamer.

Next to last was my old Pip Squeak. This was its first flight back after getting repainted after it sustained some fin damage. It was yellow & blue, but I changed it to the yellow/orange cover art livery. However the streamer got stuck on ejection, but the streamer did prevent the rocket from taking a core sample. However, a fin did get damaged. :kill:

Last rocket of the day was a Thrustline Pumpkin Head. If you haven't seen the rocket before, it's kind of a cross between a Red Max and a Goblin. But with the winds still swirling up high, I used an 18/24 adapter for a B6-4. A fine flight nonetheless! A bit low, but that's ok on a day like today! Another fine kit Silverado!

Finally, a recovery photo of the Pumpkin Head.

11 went up, 10 came back (including all 9 of my own), only one sustained damage. All things considered, a successful day of flying, especially with the nasty wind!

Fantastic. Thanx for sharing. Isn't it great to get out and have nice relaxing day of flying.

And it's even better when you have a nice relaxing day of flying and not lose anything!

Enjoyed reading and viewing the pics from your launch. Great liftoff photos!!!

Sounds like you had the perfect day. I wish I could find a field close to me that I could take my kids out and fly.

Looking forward to your next report.

Glad you enjoyed the photos! Just take a drive around a few area schools with a soccer or baseball field, you can usually find something, just be sure to steer clear of the airport! ;)

Cool launch pix ! I like the pumpkin head floating down
against a beautiful Carolina Blue sky. *ahem*:D

Vacation starts on Friday....time to do some more flying!! Though I'll wait for this winter weather blow far away from here before I fly!

I have also made note of your sky comments and have passed them along to JJ for further review. :D

Back