Permanently Installed AV Bay?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a LOC Semper Fi that I plan to use only as motor deploy. I have an 8-inch electronics bay for it, and I'm wondering if there are any future problems with epoxying this in like I would a standard coupler? I would epoxy the forward plate permanently and attach the all-thread permanently to it. I would leave the aft plate removable so I can remove the sled and electronics as needed. My goal is to get some basic electronics experience with an Eggtimer altimeter and GPS before I need to use it for real sometime in the future. I'm a go-slow kind of guy, and if I want to DD I would rather start with another rocket that I build with the intention of DD. Thanks all!

I screw my couplers in this situation, so I can remove it from both ends if I want to. I put a LOC Stuffy tube inside them then put in two self tapping screws on opposite sides of the body tube I pre-drill for them to start them off. Others hold it in with plastic removeable rivets.

But if you want to glue it in, yes what you have written is fine.

It’s your rocket so if you’re ok with that go ahead. But I don’t see what advantage it would give you - using screws or removable rivets gives you flexibility and access. But would it be “wrong” to bond it all together? Nope, just not, IMO, optimal.

It’s your choice, but I think you’ll regret permanently fitting the avbay. It doesn’t make much sense when you can securely fit it with screws or plastic rivets.

Thanks all! I think I have an irrational fear that the screws will tear out the cardboard airframe. I'm quite sure I would prefer the flexibility so I'm going with screws. I've tried the rivets and they're not my favorite.

Thanks all! I think I have an irrational fear that the screws will tear out the cardboard airframe. I'm quite sure I would prefer the flexibility so I'm going with screws. I've tried the rivets and they're not my favorite.

Make sure the coupler on the inside has a LOC Stiffy Tube inside it and it will be solid. Most of their E-Bays come with the Stiffy tube.

I don't worry about that Stiffy in like 2" or 2.65 inch unless your running say an I motor over 220 Avg Thrust.

I flew an I205 in an Estes 2.5" with couplers only fit to tight with masking tape to keep the 3 piece airframe together as It was a break down ship out and ship back rocket. I flew it twice at Jean Dry Lake.

Edit: the Kevlar cord was from the fincan to the nose so even if the tubes came apart they were all tethered together for a safe recovery if something happened to a tube getting loose which did not happen.

Last edited:
I like to glue the coupler in and have a stepped bulkplate on each side that is removable. So on the main side, you can just pull on the shock cord and the bulkplate comes with the all-thread attached. You can make your charges and drop it back down.

Make sure the coupler on the inside has a LOC Stiffy Tube inside it and it will be solid. Most of their E-Bays come with the Stiffy tube.

I don't worry about that Stiffy in like 2" or 2.65 inch unless your running say an I motor over 220 Avg Thrust.

I flew an I205 in an Estes 2.5" with couplers only fit to tight with masking tape to keep the 3 piece airframe together as It was a break down ship out and ship back rocket. I flew it twice at Jean Dry Lake.

Edit: the Kevlar cord was from the fincan to the nose so even if the tubes came apart they were all tethered together for a safe recovery if something happened to a tube getting loose which did not happen.

Thankfully, I did get the standard electronics bay with the stiffy tube and not the light version, so I'll go ahead and use that. I plan on attempting my L1 with this rocket at the end of March. The added weight won't matter because I can size up my motor based on the final build weight. That way this rocket will be fine for some more powerful motors when I get there. You never know when you'll start getting those "send it" vibes. Or, let's be real here, I get new rockets because I want to fly more powerful motors.

I've seen that idea about friction fitting and tethering the nose cone before (maybe from you). I had already planned on doing that with this rocket. Glad to hear you had no issues.

I like to glue the coupler in and have a stepped bulkplate on each side that is removable. So on the main side, you can just pull on the shock cord and the bulkplate comes with the all-thread attached. You can make your charges and drop it back down.
That's a cool idea, thanks for sharing!

All my rockets 2.6" and above have an av-bay in the base of the payload section with a 1/2" rod through them. Wood in smaller rockets, aluminum in mid size rockets, and 1/2" threaded rod in larger rockets. All my altimeters have a 1/2" lug on the back so I can put any altimeter in any rocket. All my sleds are 5-1/2" long.They were originally designed for the Adept OBC2. The motor tube goes through so I can use motor ejection if necessary. Altimeters are so much more reliable that I rarely use motor ejection, almost never in HPR rockets.

It’s your choice, but I think you’ll regret permanently fitting the avbay. It doesn’t make much sense when you can securely fit it with screws or plastic rivets.
Same here. All of the times I glued in the coupler and planned dual deployment were followed by regret also. So much easier to repair and adjust an AV bay if you pull it out.

I decided to go with T-nuts for the two rockets I'm working on right now. I already glued the coupler in on one rocket about a year ago before dual deploy or electronics were on my mind. Already regretting that, but it's minor. I'm going to get another payload bay tube which is inexpensive and I already have the unbuilt electronics bay. Thanks all!

Back