Performance of Scissor Wing glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donaldsrockets

Reaction score
I was just wondering how well this performs. I know the package says glide times up to 60 seconds is possible.

I still have not gotten one yet as my hobby shop has not received them yet. I'm about to give up and order one online to insure I can get one before Estes pulls the plug on them if they haven't already.

The new kits are really nice and include a new & improved swing wing pivot mechanism and laser cut balsa!

I'm about to give up and order one online to insure I can get one before Estes pulls the plug on them if they haven't already.
We have 3 left in stock.

Best regards,
Brian

Donald,

I've got one built but haven't had the weather to trim or fly it. It's a nice kit, though. Very easy to put together if you follow the directions.

MetMan

In the original version of this I used to fly 2 of them parasite style on the side of a mean machine.... Quite fun and glide times almost 60 seconds.

George Rachor

Originally posted by Curious George
In the original version of this I used to fly 2 of them parasite style on the side of a mean machine.... Quite fun and glide times almost 60 seconds.

George Rachor

Welcome to TRF!! You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of that configuration, would you?

Do not add a ton of weight by over-painting it. I've seen one fly with too much paint and it was a dog.

Originally posted by Donaldsrockets
I was just wondering how well this performs. I know the package says glide times up to 60 seconds is possible.

I still have not gotten one yet as my hobby shop has not received them yet. I'm about to give up and order one online to insure I can get one before Estes pulls the plug on them if they haven't already.

I've only seen one fly, but it was not pretty. It arced over (much more than the wind should have caused), then ejected the motor mount about 10' up. The net effect was a power assisted prang, with the body visibly accelerating directly into the ground.

Of course, the plural of anecdote is not data.

Don,

I second Fred's comments about over painting. In the pre BAR days, my original Scissor Wing glided beautifully without paint. After a thorough multi coat paint job, it looked great but flew badly.

-Kitch

"one, two, five!!"

As several have mentioned this model fly's best if decorated sparingly. I have very fond memories of my very first Qualified B boost glider competition flight with a scissor wing transport. I don't recall every getting much more then 40 or 50 seconds actual glide time out of this model but it and the crusader swing wing are still two of my favorite sport flying gliders.

Back