Parachute

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohinish

Reaction score
Hello everyone!I am an absolute beginner and trying to kick start my rocket with safe landing.For this I need a parachute.So,far this is good but the thing I didnt get is we tie the nose and tube of rocket with shock cord and then to parachute and push the parachute inside the rocket tube.But,how exactly does the nose of rocket break open once it reaches its maximum thrust and falls?
Is there any mechanism behind this?or is it just like simply the nose opens automatically once it starts falling down?

please help

Most smaller motors have a built-in ejection charge that explodes and pushes out the nose cone. Once the propellant burns out, there is a delay grain that burns for a specific amount of time, and that ignites the ejection charge.

Model_rocket_engine_diagram.png

You can use an altimeter, an electric match, and a black powder charge to do the same thing, but that is not something I can explain in a forum.

Well,I am actually trying to do this with Sugar Motor.So,is there any other way?
Search YouTube. I've seen a video that includes delay, and injection charges in sugar motors. He says the motor is equivalent to an F40.

Not trying to discourage anyone or rain on somebody’s parade but.....

Am I the only person concerned about someone as a self described absolute beginner making a homemade sugar motor motor who doesn’t understand the basics of a recovery system deployment?

Not trying to discourage anyone or rain on somebody’s parade but.....

Am I the only person concerned about someone as a self described absolute beginner making a homemade sugar motor motor who doesn’t understand the basics of a recovery system deployment?

Second that!

Sorry I guess I should try to be helpful rather than critical.

Mohinish
You are way way way way over your head here.

First go out and get an Estes starter set and a package of B6 Motors.

Build and fly the basic rocket or rockets in the kit.

Get the book Handbook of model rocketry by Harry Stine.

You will find it not only helpful but actually a very entertaining read.
Your total investment for the above will probably be less than $50.

Really I am not trying to rain on your parade. But just the time taken to do these two things will save you so much time, grief, and money (also possibly save you physical injury) compared with what you are trying to do now that you will thank me a thousand times over after you do it.

Back