Painting the Rohini-75 Indian Sounding Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm building a scratch model from conventional balsa and cardboard at a much higher scale

Colours are hard to match when viewed on a computer screen. It is backlit so appears brighter than it may actually be. You can also see that any time you print out a photo on plain bond paper-the colours will be darker than if you used glossy photo paper. You real hope for a good match would be the Indian flag shown in the second picture. The color scales normally used in graphic arts are in a collection of samples much the same way fabric samples are available for rugs, upholstery, etc. A 'Pantone' book is rather expensive, so you may take a good facsimile of the flag to an art store to find a close match. This will be easier if you use an airbrush,as Createx and Badger both make excellent water-based paints that are airbrush friendly. Any 'spray bombs' are limited to the most popular colours customers regularly use. To that end a quick trip to a local hardware store with a good selection of spray cans may meet your desires with "close enough" for your needs. Do not discount Floral shops as the larger ones have sprays used to color floral arraingements to suit a theme or bride's special request. I've actually found a good "Federal Express" purple there. Good luck and post us with your results!

https://www.nielspapermodels.com/rohini.htm

This is a web page with information on the Rohini-75 sounding rocket. Could someone identify the type of paint (color and brand) that I should buy to paint a scale model of this rocket?

I can't tell if the color photo of the launch on the paper model website is legitimate, or if he superimposed a picture of his paper model over a different rocket launch photo. If that's legit, that's the only color shot I've ever seen.

My source for Rockets of the World was the article in Model Rocketry magazine here:

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ModelRocketry/Model_Rocketry_v01n10_08-69.pdf

There is a brief description of the color scheme, "The overall color of the RH-75 airframe was red, with white lettering. The nozzle and fins are painted green. The lettering down the side of the rocket reads 'ROHINI - 75 * SSTC INDIA.'"

The black and white photo in the article shows the red body as dark in color, indicating it wasn't fluorescent red.

Lacking a color photo, I'd pretty much say that you've got some latitude in picking a paint.

If that color launch photo is on the up-and-up, well, I'd match that as best I could.

Peter Alway

The black and white photo in the article shows the red body as dark in color, indicating it wasn't fluorescent red.

Lacking a color photo, I'd pretty much say that you've got some latitude in picking a paint.

If that color launch photo is on the up-and-up, well, I'd match that as best I could.

Peter Alway

Could this be a legitimate color photograph? I have an RH-75 in my queue and I would like to make it as accurate as possible!

Cheers,
Michael

The picture on the download page is Niels's models superimposed.
Niels is a friend of mine and takes great care to get things right on details. Why not just write him a letter and ask? He'll be very happy to know of flying interest in the Rohinni.
The MMX mod link on the download page no longer exists, but there is one atthe bottom of the 'models' page. just fyi, I know you're building yours from other materials. btw- what scale?
Eric:)

PS- I just sent Niels a letter asking him about the paint and thelink to here.

Last edited:
The picture on the download page is Niels's models superimposed.
Niels is a friend of mine and takes great care to get things right on details. Why not just write him a letter and ask? He'll be very happy to know of flying interest in the Rohinni.
The MMX mod link on the download page no longer exists, but there is one atthe bottom of the 'models' page. just fyi, I know you're building yours from other materials. btw- what scale?
Eric:)

I thought the photograph I linked might be one of Niels' models, but I wasn't sure. I know the kits from his site have a more orange hue not unlike the Indian flag or the Force India F1 Team, but photographs of newer Rohini rockets that I have seen are more red like Peter stated. I have read the multiple discussions on this topic and I know that there really isn't a consensus.

I have to admit that I'm cheating, by the way. While placing an order at Performance Hobbies, I noticed that Ken had the Aerospace Speciality Products 9/10 scale kit available. Having an interest in the obscure, I couldn't resist ordering it. I would not have been able to purchase the components for less and I've been wanting to see the quality of their kits. Those are the justifications for the purchase that I used on myself, anyway!

Cheers,
Michael

Niels asked me to pass this on to all of you:

Hi Eric
You are welcome to pass this on to the group.

"Hi

The colour photo of the flying rohini is as Pete points out just made as "box art" for the kit using another rocket launch as background. I do this with all my models.

The main source for the green and red model is the paintscheme from Pete Always great book. So it could in fact be any color of red and green. Still - the black and white photo indicates to me, that it was a dark red and a light green. Just as Pete says.

The paint scheme for the small RH-75 version is based on a drawing made for me by Sathya Kumar. "

Niels asked me to pass this on to all of you:

Hi Eric
You are welcome to pass this on to the group.

"Hi

The colour photo of the flying rohini is as Pete points out just made as "box art" for the kit using another rocket launch as background. I do this with all my models.

The main source for the green and red model is the paintscheme from Pete Always great book. So it could in fact be any color of red and green. Still - the black and white photo indicates to me, that it was a dark red and a light green. Just as Pete says.

The paint scheme for the small RH-75 version is based on a drawing made for me by Sathya Kumar. "

Thank you, Eric, for helping me out...and thanks very much to Niels for taking the time to provide us with his clarification. Even if/though the photograph in the link I posted is not real, it seems to most accurately reflect the shading that I see in Pete's book as well.

I'm really looking forward to this build! I have gone crazy buying kits over the past few weeks, with no end in sight. I think I'm going to have to move this one somewhere up in the queue after I finish the Delta IV Heavy that I'm currently building...

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Michael

Back