Painting Instructions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanKnight

Reaction score
Before I go reinventing the wheel, does anybody have a word doc, pdf, or whatever that give detailed painting instructions? I'm letting my students take their rockets home to paint themselves this year, and want a sheet they can take home to remember the lesson I give them in class. I'll probably just end up typing something myself, but would love to see any that have already been put to use.

From a Response in that Thread: "13- Your rocket will look like crap after a few launches anyway so don't stress the paint to much."

Sad, but true! My Crossfire ISX has a "Banner Red" Nose Cone. When it deploys at Ejection, it inevitably bounces off of the Body and Fins, which are White, imparting little tiny Red Spots here or there. I still love the Rocket, and the tiny Specks are like little Badges of Honor.

You can do a lot of decorating without using paint, and without having to wait for paint to dry.

There are many many sources of stickers, in lots of sizes, styles, colors, etc. You can also find peel-n-stick monocote products in many colors and patterns at your local hobby and R/C shops; a 6 x 36 sheet costs a few bucks and can be cut into dozens (hundreds?) of strips and rectangles. This is a great time of year to find colored markers in the back-to-school sections at the store. Colored markers work especially well if you are building with white body tubes, and absorb well into balsa fins. There are even colored vinyl tapes that can be used.

Not sure that I would recommend any of the colored duct tape products.

Anyway, long story short, you don't have to use paint. If you have a class with many rockets of the same design, it helps reduce confusion (at least, in the classes I have done) to leave one fin or a part of the body clear, to have a place to put student initials.

One way to use paint is to pre-paint the nose cones ahead of time, so you don't have to take up class time with it. If you use a variety of colors you can let the kids pick out their own; this usually makes most of the kids happy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I'm not requiring paint, and will tell the kids about using permanent markers and vinyl stickers, but want to give them options. They will have a week between the time they build the rockets and when they launch them, so I'll let them choose how to go about finishing them.

From a Response in that Thread: "13- Your rocket will look like crap after a few launches anyway so don't stress the paint to much."
Precisely why I decided to let the kids do it themselves this year. Plus I'm taking the bike or bus to work most of the time now, and don't want to haul 14 rockets back and forth.

Since a lot depends on the paint used I'm not sure that one set of simplified instructions will do it. I'd just let the kids have at it and keep in mind that it is what it is.

I used to participate in a lot of launches at the local high school and seeing the variety of schemes and techniques used by the kids to finish their rockets was always cool to see. Seeing dozens of Big Berthas finished to each individuals taste was always a highlight of these launches. Some kids have a talent for building, others for finishing, some not so much of either, it is what it is. As long as the kids have fun and learn something along the way.

Well, when it comes to how far away to hold the nozzle, how heavy of a coat, drying time, etc. I was just going to put "follow the instructions on the can". I'm grading them on construction... mostly how well they followed my directions. The rest is for them to enjoy (or not). Still thinking about ordering them all custom letter stickers from Stickershock23 for the scratch build project. But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these kids come back with a paint job to put all of mine to shame.

Not sure how old your kids are but...

My 6 year old nephew and i built his first rocket the night before his first launch. He saw all of my rockets and didn't want to fly it naked! We really didn't have time to paint it, so I got out a box of markers and let him have at it! He was quite happy with his work of art. The guys at the local rocket club all complimented him on it so he was a happy little camper! It did look like a 6 year old colored it, but hey, he had fun!

Jerome :)

Back