Ozark Area Rocketeers?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Off Grid Gecko

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just curious if any of you are in the area of Southern Missouri/Northern Arkansas and where you fly. I think there is a club or two in Rolla, MO but so far I've been unable to gather much information about them or upcoming launches, etc. I'm hoping to get my new birdie out to spread her wings as soon as the coronavirus thing is over with and looking for a club to check out, possibly join. NAR or Tripoli association is fine.

I'm almost on the state line here, and there are a few rather large pastures in the area. They aren't ideal. They are hilly and spotted with a few trees here and there (and we all know rockets are tree-seeking on recovery) dotting the landscape, but better than nothing. I've never filled out the FAA paperwork, but I assume getting a flight waiver isn't to terribly difficult, as these days there are processes in place for it. I'm sure I could get one of the landowners to give me a nod. I'd get one for my property, but I don't have quite enough space cleared yet, and in fact, I'll never have a huge launch area (though I may be able to get a hundred yard radius eventually for smaller birds) due to the terrain. Pretty well all of the local landowners are friendly with each other, I'm sure one of them would let me use their field if I had to go that route.

If you are somewhere near the area, where do you fly? I don't mind driving a couple of hours, but a trip to St. Louis or Kansas city is around a 4-5 hour drive depending on traffic and other things. Same for Little Rock, and then I'd need to read up about transporting motors across state lines.

Sorry if this isn't in the right spot on the forum, couldn't seem to find a sub for this kind of question.

Just on the off chance that someone finds this via Google search or something. I found a club that launches near Springfield, MO. Seems like they moved down that way from a previous site near KC?? Not sure, but the website shows them on the southern side of the state.
https://www.tripolimokan.org/Guess I'll be joining TRA soon. Pretty slim pickins around here.

Not sure how far East along that line you are, but Leonard, OK might be an option.
That's a pretty good little drive from where I'm at. I'd have to make a weekend of it and the funds just aren't there right now. I did find some money I had ratholed away in my paypal account to apply for my TRA membership, so I went ahead and did that before I get a chance to change my mind. Feeling committed and hoping my nose cone doesn't crack on the first flight. I think it'll be okay, they look to have nice grassy fields in Springfield if I can avoid the rocks.

I just came across this post... I'm not sure of your real identity, so I don't know if we already know each other. But Tripoli Mo-Kan is located just outside of Springfield, MO on a cow pasture. So yes, some hazards to be had... But a wonderful field and a wonderful relationship with landowners. 12,000 waiver. Good folks too. I flew there this past Saturday.

Back