Over Engineered Estes Alpha

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have always been a fan of the Estes Alpha rockets, it is an easy and reliable build. I decided to upgrade my Alpha 6 60th Anniversary build and try to make a really unique rocket. The main areas of focus were to upgrade the booster tube, motor retainer and kevlar shock cord.

IMG_1051.jpeg
Here you can see I installed an aluminum motor retainer instead of the engine hook. The MMT is installed in the fin can with RocketEpoxy because I was using it on another rocket at the same time. Out the top of the MMT is a 400# Kevlar line to server as shock cord.
IMG_0576.jpeg
Note: When using Kevlar or Nylon, you can use tape to absorb the impact of the motor ejection and the sudden stop when the nose cone reaches the end of the shock cord. I create a few of these bundles on my launches. You know you have the correct number of bundles when some, but not all of the bundles have been ripped open. Without the bundles, I have had nose cones separate from the booster because of the sudden stop from an ejection charge. (example photo from another project)
IMG_1051.jpeg
The main body tube is being replaced with a 24mm I.D. piece of Carbon tube. I cut the tube just a bit longer because of a difference in weight.
IMG_1053.jpeg
Rough assembly. I tried to put the 60th Anniversary sticker on the carbon fiber, but you could not see it very well. I decided to put a white ring of lacquer paint on so the sticker would be visible. I really like the look.
IMG_1054.jpeg
Mostly complete Alpha 6 next to the Alpha 3.
IMG_1055.jpeg
I still need to deal with the launch lug. I have been experimenting with Mini and Micro Rail Buttons on the MakerBeam and really like launching off of a rail. I think I am going to get some polystyrene h-column and make a runner that slides inside of the MakerBeam for this Alpha.

Attachments

• IMG_1052.jpeg
    IMG_1052.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Nice. I have some carbon fiber tubing about the right inside diameter for a BT-50, but it's too thick (and heavy) for a model rocket. I don't know what to do with it, but I keep it around because it looks cool. :)

BTW, you built an Alpha 6 (VI) not a 4 (IV). The Alpha IV was released for the 40th anniversary.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/alpha-iv---estes-1258-1998-1998.html

The Alpha IV is red and black versus black and red for the Alpha VI - which is a really nice bit of symmetry.

Last edited:
I modified my RockSim file for the new build. I think I am adding about 30 g based on materials. I will put the rocket on the scale tonight, but here are the simulation runs.

upload_2018-12-18_12-38-29.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-18_12-38-29.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-18_12-38-29.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 60
Back