Order of Nosecone and Parachute on the shockcord?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machet_Man

Reaction score
This is a question that has always puzzled me when it comes to putting together the recovery system. Once the shock cord is attached onto the rocket via an eyebolt or what have you, what is the order of items on the shock cord? Is the parachute attached to end of the shock cord or is the nosecone?
Thank ya folks,
Tripp

Has anyone ever tried experimenting with this on the same rocket? If the parachute is on the end, with a heavy nose cone attached in the middle area, would this minimize the jolt to the recovery system?

If you have a narrow diameter build, a kevlar shock cord often does double duty as a chute protector. If this is the case, you had better get the shock cord in first!

This is a question that has always puzzled me when it comes to putting together the recovery system. Once the shock cord is attached onto the rocket via an eyebolt or what have you, what is the order of items on the shock cord? Is the parachute attached to end of the shock cord or is the nosecone?

Most of the time, the shock connects the body tube and nose cone. The parachute or streamer is attached between them, a little closer to the nose cone (so it won't hit the body tube).

Someone in TRF however, suggested that it's a little better to attach the shock cord to the parachute or streamer then attach the nose cone a little below the parachute or streamer. This way everything hangs in a straight line and is a bit less likely to get tangled.

-- Roger

Someone in TRF however, suggested that it's a little better to attach the shock cord to the parachute or streamer then attach the nose cone a little below the parachute or streamer. This way everything hangs in a straight line and is a bit less likely to get tangled.

-- Roger

Roger beat me to the punch... It was mentioned on TRF and I tried it with great results. With the chute at the end of the shock cord and the NC below the NC and airframe do not spiral as much as the opposite set up on the same rocket. My experience has been more vertical recoveries with less fin damage.

Back